snails in sump/refugium.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maridia

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is there any reason to fear snails in my sump/refugium? They might migrate over to my RP, or go over to my skimmer. My OF tube is covered by a filter sock.

Well, they can get stuck in a pump. May I ask why they would be in there to begin with? Even in a refugium your goal is to keep it free of predators, to include that of the algae.

Well, they can get stuck in a pump. May I ask why they would be in there to begin with? Even in a refugium your goal is to keep it free of predators, to include that of the algae.

I do not have any, but I believe to have heard of some people keeping some in the sump to help with their algae problems and overall cleanliness. But that may be a myth.

If you have filter socks on the line coming into the sump, there should be no clean up at all. When I ran my sump without one, the amount of junk built up was outrageous to the point where some snails wouldn't have solved the issue. I actually took it offline and had to clean the entire thing out.

Facet siphon are ideal in that case

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If you have filter socks on the line coming into the sump, there should be no clean up at all. When I ran my sump without one, the amount of junk built up was outrageous to the point where some snails wouldn't have solved the issue. I actually took it offline and had to clean the entire thing out.

How long do you go before changing or cleaning your filter sock?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If your not using macro algae in there, then yes, its ok to throw the CUC in the sump to aid in the detritus clean up. You do want the lines to and from the tank covered to they can't get in there.

Back
Top Bottom