snap snap snap snap snap....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jason

Aquarium Advice FINatic
that's what I heard in my tank this morning.... pop pop pop pop pop. that's the first time I've hear pops that many times in a row. they have been getting progresively louder in the last few weeks and I know where it is because anytime anything gets over this i patch of star polyp I fragged onto a big rock I hear loud pops. Nothing get hit or anything I just hear pops, sometimes 1 sometimes 2 or 3 this morning I heard 5 loud ones not quick though just pop.......pop........pop........ pop..........pop.

All of my cleaning crew is still around and nothing seems to be getting eaten so I don't know if it is a mantis or not. I did see a small shrimp a few months back in the same whole where I think the popping is coming from but all I saw was the tail so i couldn't really tell. I set a trap for about a week and nothing got caught except both of my jawfish everynight so I gave up and prayed for the best. Now the pops are just gettting louder and I kinda know where they are coming from because they always happen when something is over the patch of star polyp.

Does it sound like I need to worry or just let it ride until something happens.

oh yeah I have two problems the rock that the pops are coming from has softies all over it so i really don't want to do a dip and I really don't have room in my tank yo set a trap anymore so what can I do if it is something serious?

You can start setting traps and see what you get. You will likely catch a bunch of regular members of your clean up crew at first, but you might find a Mantis suprise :)

It sounds more like you have a pistol shrimp. If this is the case, I wouldn't be concerned at all. You can try a trap if you can find room, but I wouldn't get too worried until you notice that someone is getting beat up. Only then would I think it is a mantis.

I have read/heard of some disaster stories about setting up traps. If both of your jawfish get trapped, they might be easy prey for a mantis; being trapped and all. You will have caught the mantis, but at the expense of your jawfishes' lives.

I wouldn't want any "popping" from my tank, be it a mantis or pistol.

I know I have a mantis. I've been setting and resetting my trap for over a month. I've caught a few crabs but no mantis yet. I've read it can take a long time to eventually get him in the trap. I haven't stocked my tank yet because of this so the trap is a good solution for me.

Oh, also... I've done carbonated dips and freshwater dips of 7 minutes. He still wouldn't come out. I've seen him clear as day so I know he's there. It's so frustrating having a tank that I can't stock. Pray it's not a mantis (no pun intended).

Back
Top Bottom