sneaky mantis shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yaksplat

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well, after i got my rock, i dipped all of it in seltzer water for a few minutes. Well, I thought this got everything until my wife goes, "whats that thing staring at me" It was a mantis. I think he looked at me, snickered to himself and then went into another hole in the rock. He had big beaty eyes and he was quite dark. Arms folded underneath him. He's about 1.25 inches long, so i'm hoping he doesn't cause any problems.

Jim

I got one also. same thing very dark. but i let the rock just sit for 20 min and he came out. now i have him isolated in a seperat container. mine is a baby 1" or so. I hope he was the only one.

keeping fingers crossed.
0X

Are mantis really this googily looking? :p

aqu5.jpg

mantis12.jpg

mantis7.jpg

I discovered the first one after losing $200 worth of fish. I caught him and then disposedon him quickly. I later found out that there were actually 2 of the bastards. I found out the hard way when my 65 started leaking. They are truly eavil creatures. :twisted:

Well, I dipped every stinking (literally) piece of the 90lbs I got in RO and got probably close to 10 or more pistol shrimp. They are now in a 10 Gal that sounds like a bowl of rice crispies. I didn't find one mantis. I am almost dissapointed as I wanted to set em up in a lil' nano all thier own. Even thought about building them one. But alas, I occasionally here the "pop pop" out of the display. I hope it is just more pistols I missed. I'd hate to try and catch one now.

I am almost dissapointed as I wanted to set em up in a lil' nano all thier own.

If this guy i know dosn't contact me soon and tell me to send the mantis, I'll let you have mine. he is tiny, dark, and VERY observant.

:mrgreen:

If I remember correctly he was 4-6 inches. He was hiding in a 12-15 lb piece of LR that I bought directly from a wholesaler. I thought I was getting a deal. :x

Luckily I had a club type mantis versus a slicer. I hear those are quieter.

I think I was sleep deprived when I wrote my last reply. My buddy pointed out that the mantis was closer to 3-4 inchesand that the rock weighed around 20 lbs. I didn't mean to tell a "fish" story. :oops:

Mach said:
Do the mantis or the pistol shrimp make popping noices?

Yep..usually pistols will make a single pop and matis have several right together. It sounds like someone behind the tank tapping the glass lightly w/ a penny.

Squishy

Back
Top Bottom