Snow flake in reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's the only problem about a bowfront tank it's harder to get lids

ive had glass cut for my oceanic systems bow front, just carefully trace the radius of the bow out of cardboard and get measurements to back it up as in the dead center of the bow to the rear of the tank, where the bow starts on the sides, and of course the rear length and side widths, the glass company can then smooth the radius on their program and cut it to be an exact fit on your tank, maybe about $30-$40 after taxes, my 2 pieces were $30 and thats because theyre huge and 1/4" thick, 22"x16" (y)

I also have a snowflake in my reef tank with 2 damsels, blue tang and an oscillaris(sp). He's about 18" long and doesn't bother any of the other occupants. I have no lid on the tank and he makes no effort to get out. As far as them being 'dirty' I have had no issuer with that either. Water parameters stay Nearly perfect. He does dig some, but only when I rearrange the rocks and then it's only to re-establish his caves and cubby holes. I have even observed one of the damsels sharing a cave with him. It did take a little time to 'train' him, but he is a wonderful addition to my reef. Btw. You don't want to feed a snowflake daily. It's bad for them. 2-3x weekly is plenty.

I've heard numerous stories of eels getting out of tanks that did not have lids. I would never be comfortable without a lid.

I think they "dirty" thing comes from how the eat. Mine would tear at the shrimp I fed and smaller pieces went everywhere. Same thing my Picasso Trigger does. Depending on tankmates, some other fish/CUC might appreciate the scraps.

Mine did get out a couple of times (when I had a lid on the tank), but hasn't Since I took the lid off (go figure). That's was at least 8 months ago. I've had him over a year now. He has been known to slither into the HOB filter once in a while, but only rarely. Usually when there is a new addition or I do some extensive cleaning inside the tank. It leads me to believe that's his coping mechanism.

I also have a snowflake in my reef tank with 2 damsels, blue tang and an oscillaris(sp). He's about 18" long and doesn't bother any of the other occupants. I have no lid on the tank and he makes no effort to get out. As far as them being 'dirty' I have had no issuer with that either. Water parameters stay Nearly perfect. He does dig some, but only when I rearrange the rocks and then it's only to re-establish his caves and cubby holes. I have even observed one of the damsels sharing a cave with him. It did take a little time to 'train' him, but he is a wonderful addition to my reef. Btw. You don't want to feed a snowflake daily. It's bad for them. 2-3x weekly is plenty.

i know its bad for them to get a buffet daily, i agree with you there, but i feed frozen krill, i feed him a very small 1/2" krill daily, just too keep his apetite in check, i mean i dont feed him half a silverside daily or anything, just a smal snack.

I've heard numerous stories of eels getting out of tanks that did not have lids. I would never be comfortable without a lid.

I think they "dirty" thing comes from how the eat. Mine would tear at the shrimp I fed and smaller pieces went everywhere. Same thing my Picasso Trigger does. Depending on tankmates, some other fish/CUC might appreciate the scraps.

if you feed him anything bigger than they eat he will make a mess yeah ive been through that, if i give him a krill to big he'll thrash around like a shark and tear it to shreds, my CUC loves it though lol

Mine did get out a couple of times (when I had a lid on the tank), but hasn't Since I took the lid off (go figure). That's was at least 8 months ago. I've had him over a year now. He has been known to slither into the HOB filter once in a while, but only rarely. Usually when there is a new addition or I do some extensive cleaning inside the tank. It leads me to believe that's his coping mechanism.

mine actually swims into the overbox and i used to freak out when i wouldnt see him for an hr or so but one day i saw him slither in and slither out so now i dont worry as much when i dont see him. he also hides in there if im moving coral or rocks around after a feeding, like he has no interest in my fingers and just wants to hide.

i know its bad for them to get a buffet daily, i agree with you there, but i feed frozen krill, i feed him a very small 1/2" krill daily, just too keep his apetite in check, i mean i dont feed him half a silverside daily or anything, just a smal snack.

if you feed him anything bigger than they eat he will make a mess yeah ive been through that, if i give him a krill to big he'll thrash around like a shark and tear it to shreds, my CUC loves it though lol

mine actually swims into the overbox and i used to freak out when i wouldnt see him for an hr or so but one day i saw him slither in and slither out so now i dont worry as much when i dont see him. he also hides in there if im moving coral or rocks around after a feeding, like he has no interest in my fingers and just wants to hide.

I have found with mine that it keeps him satiated if I feed him until he quits coming back out for more, then wait until he acts hungry a couple of days later to feed him again. That's why mine doesn't bother the other fish IMO.

I have found with mine that it keeps him satiated if I feed him until he quits coming back out for more, then wait until he acts hungry a couple of days later to feed him again. That's why mine doesn't bother the other fish IMO.

Well i tried that and he threw up 2 of the krill he mustve eaten about 6 of em, so i switched to way smaller feeding and more often, mine really just stopped cruising like I said earlier, I didnt like him out in the open because he was way to curious about tank mates and how to escape, but he's been a model citizen so far after adjusting to the feeding and all the tank mates activity.

Just seen this thread and was reading. I have a snowflake in my reef as well with 1 oc clown 1 black and white clown, a royal gramma, a firefish, a yellow tail damsel and a very small blue hippo. I feed him silversides daily and have had no issues with him. I have had him about 4 months now and he is about 18 inches.

Back
Top Bottom