Snow flake in reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Darylb

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was thinking of getting a snowflake for my 55 gal reef tank I saw one yesterday at my LFS just curious will it eat my azure damsel blue/green chromis and my occ. clowns? The one I saw at the shop was tiny I want something unique for my tank everyone who looks at it sees nemo but I want them to get a supprise when they see something like an eel in there

If it is small, it will probably be okay with the larger fish for a while, but when it gets larger, anything it can grab and eat should be considered fair game.

It won't be for a couple of months I'm just getting things back on track with my tank so glueing the rocks would be advisable and maybe put the clowns and azure in my 20 gal? That's what I'm thinking would the chromis be alright?

The novelty of a snowflake eel wears off pretty quick IMO.

I got one when I first started the hobby. It wasn't that big, but it still ate a couple of my fish. It will also make maintaining your reef more difficult as they are a "dirty" fish.

Ill google that now Bribo one eel I really want is a black ribbon eel my LFS has had them for 6 months now

Ill google that now Bribo one eel I really want is a black ribbon eel my LFS has had them for 6 months now

Wow that's an impressive time to have one. A 55 is IMO to small for a ribbon eel though

Yeah they're one of my dream fish but they have an absolutely abysmal survival rate in captivity so ill probably never own one

i for one love my snowflake eel, he was the first addition to my tank and hes calmed down alot, he doesnt cruise as much now that i feel him once a day, he doesnt nip anymore either, hes pretty cool with all my stock so far, clowns, bicolor basselet, six line wrasse, midas blenny, flame angel, all pretty small and medium sized, hes usually just "touring" the rock work and likes to kick back in my red mushrooms and "relax" im all for a snowflake eel in the reef.

img_2910831_0_486b61a2870535c392ec14ecfec6bb64.jpg

i for one love my snowflake eel, he was the first addition to my tank and hes calmed down alot, he doesnt cruise as much now that i feel him once a day, he doesnt nip anymore either, hes pretty cool with all my stock so far, clowns, bicolor basselet, six line wrasse, midas blenny, flame angel, all pretty small and medium sized, hes usually just "touring" the rock work and likes to kick back in my red mushrooms and "relax" im all for a snowflake eel in the reef.

img_2910938_0_486b61a2870535c392ec14ecfec6bb64.jpg

What size tank is he in? Great to here a success story! What corals do you keep in there?

I always wanted a eel
but always afraid it would eat all my stock
now that my engineer goby grew I feel like I got my eel
I'm wondering if he will stop growing he's huge a little over a foot
img_2911092_0_a8a80d46936bd97070349067ed1ecc6c.jpg

That's great... I guess it depends on their personality.

Yeah I figured it would be like any other animal, if I got him young he would have better chances to adjust to the reef lifestyle and learn to ignore his tank mates and wait to be fed daily.

How good is the lid on your tank and have you had any problems with ph swings because of it?

I had 1/4" glass cut to the exact dimensions of the tank tops except for a 1" gap by the center brace to be able to lift the glass lids off.

Back
Top Bottom