Snowflake eel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bianca90

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok, so I bought a tank and live rock. And one snowflake eel was inside the rock. It survived through a lot!. Even survived outside the water for 5 to 10 minutes. I want to have a reef. Currently I only have a damsel and the eel. I have Hermit crabs and snails. The eel is eating my crabs and snails..... I honestly do not know much about the eel ( like I said it was a surprise to me). I feed her/ him shrimp from the grocery store. Seems to like it. She basically attacks my livestock and do not eat them completely. And my nitrates levels are rising, I have done a lot of water changes. I try to get the dead out but sometimes it is impossible as they die behind live rock. How should I take care of this eel so that It stops eating my crabs and snails?

It won't stop. You'll need to return him, they are very clumsy so they aren't great for a reef and extremely messy eaters hence the rising nitrates.

How big is the tank? If it is small it will be hard to keep the water good for a reef.

I had a snowflake for a while. He was in a species only tank. As far as how to change your eel I`ll tell you what my LFS told me. You cant change nature. It`s been like that since the beginning of time. An eel is going to eat inverts no matter what. BTW here was mine. They are escape artist so make sure you have a tight fitting top.

100_1859.jpg

Is a 55. I had no clue she came in the rock till I fed my damsel. Well, about catching the guy? Any ideas? I have over 90lbs of live rock

Get it trained to come to the top of the tank for the food (pretty easy) and then net it.

Wow, so you bought someone's setup or just got some new LR and sound the eel in it? How big is it anyhow? I think it'd be neat to have one, but too much work for me :p I don't know if you'd be able to put a piece of pvc pipe with one end capped in the front of the tank, and start putting good in the one end, when it gets comfortable enough to go deep into it, cover the one end with a net. I guess that all depends on the size of the eel.

nxb161 said:
Wow, so you bought someone's setup or just got some new LR and sound the eel in it? How big is it anyhow? I think it'd be neat to have one, but too much work for me :p I don't know if you'd be able to put a piece of pvc pipe with one end capped in the front of the tank, and start putting good in the one end, when it gets comfortable enough to go deep into it, cover the one end with a net. I guess that all depends on the size of the eel.

I used this method to catch a dragon goby. I'm not sure how well it'll work for an eel but a few changes I made to that plan, don't cap the end. Put saran wrap on one end with a rubber band holding it on, and instead of putting a net over the open end wait until the eel goes in and lift the open end towards the surface. Again, not sure how well this will work for an eel, but it worked wonders for my fish.

Thank you guys, yes It came one the live rock. I will try it and hope it works! Thanks

Back
Top Bottom