Snowflake eel questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

russian65

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got a small snowflake eel as a hitchhiker in some live rock. Put it in a small submersible box in my 72 gallon aquarium. I read that it eats all crustaceans and inverts. Will it eat crabs even if it is well fed? How much should I feed it? What exactly will it eat(inverts, corals, fish)? Thanks in advance.

If you decide not to keep it, just talk story with your LFS and see if he will take it in trade for something you can use.
Also WOW! all I ever got hitchhiking was "Aiptasia"!

Last edited:
Most LFS will take them in as trade for store credit. To answer your question about what they will eat, the answer is anything they can fit in their mouth. Fish, crabs, shrimp, etc. will all be meals.

Inverts will not be safe. One important thing that was mentioned is make sure the top is secure. They are exceptional escape artists.

I have a Snowflake in a Fish and Invert community, No problems. He hasnt even had a go at any of the fish. I keep him well fed though, Feed him every second day.

He just pops his head out of the rockwork when his hungry, I feed him and he goes back and hides. Funny little fella.

Thats pretty cool man. I have had one with an emerald crab, hermit crabs, and snails for about a month. I am in the process of moving him though. I feed him every other day and have had no problems.

I guess I`m on the other side of the spectrum. I fed mine every other day and he would munch my inverts.

100_1859.jpg

Making the tank escape-proof?
Do they climb glass? Sorry I have no experience with them...

Well, kinda. They swim to the top, stick their upper body out of the water and climb over the edge - or even push very light tops up I've read.

Well, kinda. They swim to the top, stick their upper body out of the water and climb over the edge - or even push very light tops up I've read.

Ray is correct. I know many people that have lost theirs. They are great escape artist.

Back
Top Bottom