So exactly how hot is too hot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SkinnyPete

Aquarium Advice Freak
So summer is here and a lot of us will be battling high water temps. Now, I know from earlier posts that people keep their temps between about 78-80 for the most part. And a open topped tank or egg crate with a couple fans blowing over the surface can help to keep temps down. My question is simply, how hot is too hot? I was pushing 86 this past weekend and no critter showed any signs of stress or behaved any differently - how hot is actually dangerous for our fish/inverts? At what point is it panic time?

Thanks all

- Skins

Mine is always at 84, I read somewhere that as long it doesn't reach close to the 90 mark is ok, to me that's high still... :)

86° is actually quite high, I would even caution at 84°. Ideally 78-80° is better but the animals will tolerate higher temps. If you are not already using fans I would suggest doing so. If you have a sump this can be especially helpful as well as one at the tanks surface to blow off ambient heat from the lights. Try to aim for 82° at most for the daytime temp if at all possible. The other problem is the yo-yoing of the temp from day to night. You should consider bumping the thermostat control on the heater to compensate a bit so you have a much smaller temp swing during the day say 80-81° then you have only a degree or so change instead of the 6-8° change.

Cheers
Steve

i was having the same issue and got 2 clip opn fans at HD for $5 and it lowered me way down...basicall I have to limit the fans to keep it from gettin to low. I was 86 and am now about 80
Needing to get a heater to stable this out so I can keep the fans just running.
The down side it I have to do about a gal top offs a day

Back
Top Bottom