So I was moving a piece of LR and it Bit me!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

e_murray

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok, So I was moving a piece of LR and it Bit me! Well I am assuming this worm looking thing stung me, I had thousands of little hair looking things sticking out of my fingers. They felt like I had gotten into some fiberglass or something, took really sticky tape to get them out.

Should I be concerned? What the heck is this little guy?

It's better safe than sorry. When something stings you that you don't know what it is, get it checked out.

Courtesy of Dakota's iPod.

Looks like a bristle worm to me and with your description of little hairs it kinda confirms it. I know a few people that have gotten "bristled" but none had a reaction to it other than some discomfort. Different people - different reactions. It's up to you about getting a look at it but I don't think it will be a big deal. Then again I'm not a doctor, I just play one occasionally.

Steve

Thanks Steve, After Google-ing the bristle worm I am pretty sure that's what it is.

Thanks for the info, Im a bit more at ease now! :)

Now to help get the sting out use some vinegar.

Vinegar does work, no experience with being bristled, but I got freaked out when my black spiny urchin poked my hand. It turned purple right at the insertion point, but vinegar got it back to normal color.

Yep, bristle worm. Getting stung will hurt, that's for sure, not sure on how much else will/could happen. But don't worry, they're common LR hitchhikers and a good janitor.

Now that you've seen/been stung by them, always wear gloves when moving rock in the tank now as a precaution

Definitely a bristle worm. Just saw that on nat geo actually. They said they have to watch out for it when they move LR. It's just going to sting, use some vinegar. And wear gloves.

-Dylan

Out of water they look funny, that's from experience.

Aren't fire worms tan-ish anyway? Or is it the other way around?

The one that I'm looking in in my book looks exactly like the worm in the pic on the top

Back
Top Bottom