Soft Coral Q's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shirtlessbill

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all,
So I just got my first expensive soft coral and I have a few questions. I had him in a 120 g tank which ruptured the day after I got him so I ran out and got a 75 g to stick my marine life in. I figured this probably stressed my tank out so i new it would take an extra fay or two but It has now been 6 days and and I barely have seen it open up (and never to its fullest) is this normal?
my local store said to put it in the sand and pinch it between a rock ( I have its stem almost fully submerged in my sand). The only other soft coral I have in the tank are recordias that are now multiplying so I would think my water quality is good enough for it

Also I am seeing a lot of translucent strands on it. Should I brush these off?

Thanks

Ph: 8.3
Temp: 77 F
Specific Gravity: 1.0265
Ammonia: none

Attachments

• image-3190673058.jpg
    image-3190673058.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 212
  • image-423248429.jpg
    image-423248429.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 169
  • image-544109155.jpg
    image-544109155.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 179
  • image-1473021444.jpg
    image-1473021444.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 186
NVM.... Guess I just had to be patient. Now it looks like this!

Attachments

• image-2920082033.jpg
    image-2920082033.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 174
Like always with this hobby patience is everything. Had the same thing with my toadstool not opening up and a few days later it's open. Glad to hear its doing well. Good luck.

So I've had this crown coral for a few weeks now and routinely it closes itself up. And I'm pretty sure it's due to my goby dropping sand on it. I have a turkey baster that i blow the sand off of it every day. I don't want to move it again however would it make sense to get a frag stand or something and put it out of the way on the glass?

The goby moves sand everywhere however in a way it's nice because my sand bed is always white due to his maintenance. I'm just hoping I don't have to choose between him or my corals

I Know it involves moving it again but can't u just put the coral up on a rock just off the sand? That way the coral and fish could stay.

If its that simple then that would be great however I dont know if putting it "just off the sand" would be much of a difference. My goby will grab a mouthful of sand and crop dust the length of the tank. I often see him swimming 5 inches above the bottom dropping sand grains.

Maybe that is the answer. I just am at a loss as to what the best route is. My sand is super white but at the expense that my $150 leather is unhappy. I'm just hoping for a middle ground

Ok so I moved it a to a higher location. I woke up this morning to a hermit bran walking across it lol... I may just have to accept that it won't always be open

Yea but the crab shouldoce quickly across and then it will open again. Hey at least there's no sand on it lol

Unless he is burying the coral, it is probably okay. My gold Midas blenny does the same thing. He crop dusts. These corals put up with a lot of this in nature, so a little is no big deal. My clams get a dusting every now and then and they just blow themselves off.

Alright. Good to know. I'l think its just because I'm so new to corals that I'm a little over protective. On a side note my recordias have multiplied by 3!

Back
Top Bottom