Soft Water Unit...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Salttanker

Aquarium Advice Addict
Does, or has anyone used a soft water unit for their aquarium? My new house will be ready in a couple of months and I had them install a soft water unit in the house because the water out here is terrible. I have been using an RO unit and haven't had any problems with it.
I would like to know if the soft water system will be suitable, and if not, should I purchase an RO/DI unit once again? This is simply a FOWLR with inverts.

I look forward to your feedback. Thanks

Mike

Does anyone out there use a soft water unit for their home? I can't seem to find any information on this regarding marine aquariums.

Anyone?

Mike

Our highlighted parts are messing up the web address. You will need to cut and paste it into your browser. all the way to "asp"

Yeah..I saw that. So the water softner is referred to as a pillow softener? I surprised there isn't a bunch of information out there regarding this. I can't be the only one using a water softner in the house?!? 8O

Mike

A water softener is typically used when source water has a high calcium or magnesium content. The softener then removes/replaces the ions in these 2 minerals. The answer to your question probably lies in the results of the initial water test that convinced you to install the softener. The softened water will only be deprived of calcium and magnesium, and have a bit more sodium. Whatever else was in there to start, is still there. FWIW, I have a softener and will soon be buying an RO/Di unit. HTH.

I know this sounds silly, but since you have experience with a water softner, do you have to add dechlorinator to it, or is it already taken care of through the filter? If I choose to use the water softner, should I use a calcium reactor to supplement? Thanks for your response.

Mike

My water supply is an on-site private well, so no chlorine issue. Now, I believe (but don't know for certain), that water softeners do not affect chlorine. I would think that the process of making RO/DI water, mixing and storing would take care of any chlorine though. Sorry, can't answer the calcium reactor question although it seems as though the removal of calcium ions would have some effect that's unknown to me. I'm going to opt for an Ebay RO/DI unit as a $90 "insurance" policy that also produces pristine drinking water. Make sure to use less laundry soap the first few loads with softened water!

I was thinking the same thing with the RO/DI. I have one at my house, but sold it with it, so I guess I will have to buy another one. I was hoping I could avoid having to, but I don't know enough about the soft water specifications, and I'm not willing to gamble as I will be re-locating my friends to a new tank at the new house. Thanks for the advice on the laundry! I will let the wife know about it. ;)

Mike

Back
Top Bottom