something for discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Edmonton Eskimo

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was reading an article about nitrates(can't remember where) and they were talking about higher nitrates having a good effect on some corals and anemones. As I was reading this I was thinking of my sabae anemone. On a previous post I was saying how good it is doing. My nitrates are a little on the high side(about 20-25ppm) and I'm wondering if this has something to do with it's recent well-being. Also my gsp are growing crazy. I know they do anyway but I'm talking crazy :D Any thoughts on this subject

I have read that a few corals benefit from 'some' nitrates....but not high nitrates. considering a reef tank should have as close to 0ppm nitrates as possible, i think 'high' nitrate levels would be 5-10ppm.

Someone more knowledgable will chime in though I"m sure.

i dont know this but i would assume they benefit, because the sumbiotic algea uses it in a simlar way that regular algea does to grow? i know that all plants as well as alga use nitrate, if you look on most fertilizers its a common ingediant.

i dont mean to say you should add ferterlizer or have high nitrates only speculating as to why some nitrates are good

The article wasn't praising high nitrates or anything they were just exploring the different aspects of nitrate in the aquarium.

Back
Top Bottom