Something Strange

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Susie Q

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok I need more help. I have some unknown Algae. I think it's brow algae, or blue/green algae (books Saltwater Aquariums for dummies and Idiots guide to saltwater Aquariums (are these good guides?) both said this algae could be nearly any color). Heres the pictures of it. I noticed spots on my plants but thought that it was just discoloraition, but now its on the glass eggs, sand, and fake coral.

View attachment 12894

View attachment 12895

View attachment 12896

View attachment 12897

The CBS and Yellow tailed damsel won't be rehomed, the guy was afraid his fish would eat them. Do either one of them dig in the sand? Got alot of holes dug in LSB (3in deep). Please help and thank you for anyhelp you can give.
Thinking of getting larger tank.

Last edited:
The first pic is a little hard to make out. Can you get a little bit better pic.

1st pic is a diatom . It is a common thing in new tanks ....and will go away on thier own usually and just as quickly as they show up usually :)
couple questions :
How old is the tank ?
What size is it ?
What lighting do you have MH , T5 , PC ect , and wattage . ALso how old is your lighting ?
Filtration ?
How many # LR/LS
Test results
PH?
NitrAtes ?
NitrItes?
Phosphates?
Inhibitants and CUC ..

How old is the tank ?
What size is it ?
What lighting do you have MH , T5 , PC ect , and wattage . ALso how old is your lighting ?
Filtration ?
How many # LR/LS
Test results
PH?
NitrAtes ?
NitrItes?
Phosphates?
Inhibitants and CUC ..

Little over a month old.
Its a Marine Land 18 gal (24in L x 12in w x 16in t) tank,
60hz 50 watt lighting
Whisper 10-30i internal power filter
Biopro Sk-40 air driven Protein skimmer good for up to 150 liters
100watt UL heater
20lbs live sand appx 2 3/4 in to 3in sand bed
waiting on individal test kits from Ebay so all I have is test strips
nitrate 20 OK
Nitrite 0 Safe
alkiline 300 Ideal
Ph 8.4 Ideal
Coral banded shrimp and yellow tail damsel

Yep it is diatoms , common in a new tank ... You can siphion them off during H20 changes however they will burn out in a few weeks as they use up their food supply ...
Test strips are not really reliable but I see you are fixing that :)
You are going to want to add a CUC , a few snails nassiurius (SP) and some turbos (make sure when you place them in they land foot down , other wise they drown )a couple blue leg hermits this should get you started ..
Be aware that the CBS and the YTD are both agressive and will /possibly kill off other live stock
Also how much live rock do you have?

The CBS Killed a neon velvet damsel. I had them rehomed but the guy backed out. I don't have any live rock yet but if you could direct me to some decently priced I would love it.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
OH you should have that even before the fish goes in .
You will need roughly 18-20 LBS of CURED LR and about 10-12 LBS LS and add it slowly this is the base of your biological filtration ..
Nanoreefing.Com :: View topic - understanding the nano-tank system
Perhaps think about a 10 gallon tote bin for QT while you properly add LR and cycle your tank...all you would need for QT is filter , and a heater no lights are needed ,
You can take out all your water in your tank and hold it in the bin with the fish the other 6-7 gallons that will be left hold on to , get your live rock and live sand and add it placing your water back into your tank with it guided over your LR so that you dont have a sand storm :) Next get a test kit for salt water , you will want the basics
a refracometer must have one power head for keeping ditrus suspended in the colmn and helping to airate your system
Aquarium pharm test kits for salt are pretty easy to use and good too.
Ammonia
NitrIte
NitrAte
PH
and Phosphates :)
You will need to cycle your tank and with cured rock it may only take a few weeks to do ;)

Back
Top Bottom