sorry another ? but which LR is better out of these 4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquarium

Aquarium Advice Regular
Coral Rock
Gulf Rock
Keys Rock
Live Base Rock

these are the ones on LR.com list 1 being the best and 4 being least best

It really depends on what you want. The keys rock is considered "top-shelf" as it is listed as the best reef rock out there. If its hitchhikers your into, try the Gulf rock. It comes with more critters. Live base rock does not contain the pretty coraline algeas or other stuff like sponges and corals. It is good for a new tank or someone on a stricker budget. I am not sure on the coral rock.

You will get some good and some bad. A wide assortment of crabs, mantis shrimp, pistol shrimp, some brittle stars, snails and things like that. You may also find some small corals. What ever you get, liverocks.com rock is some of the best.

I don't know if you've emailed LR.com, but they are really helpful. Zack listened to what I wanted and helped me design an order (on hold until hubby finishes tank stand!). You might want to email them--in fact, based on my experience, you might get a PM from Zack based on this thread. :) They'll help you decide on an appropriate mix!

Agreed about Zack being very helpful. If you look at their page they pretty much explain the difference. The Keys has the typical purple/pinkish coraline on it as well as a good deal of life. The Gulf doesn't have the same type of coraline, but does have some, it does, however, have the most life. Coral rock is just Gulf rock, with all of the life associated therein, with corals already attatched as of harvesting. The live base rock is what's left in the bottom of their take and is basically 'left overs.' From what I understand, it doesn't have as much life or coraline, but still has the bacteria colonies.

I'm setting up my tank now and am, probably by the end of this week, going to order 40lbs of Key and 30lbs of coral. I like the colour of the keys, and the life of the Gulf, plus, as expensive as corals are, I'm hoping to make up the extra money for the coral rock by not having to buy as many since I'm already getting some. After I get everything I'll post a bunch of pics since I'll just be tickled pink. Or something.

I agree about LR.com. Zack will totally help you figure out what kind of rock you want and you'll get it. I'm only getting 10lbs, but he's letting me get 5lbs gulf and 5lbs keys to get the best of both worlds. The only problem is I have to wait until next week when he gets back from the Keys with more rock. :)

-j

Back
Top Bottom