Spawning behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am not exactly sure, but i think the female (the larger of the two) is usually quite agressive to the male. Im sure she will be gaurding an area where the eggs are, if there are some. Not an expert tho

The female (larger clown) will nip at the fins of the male. When that happens the male should submit and do a little shutter dance. It's quite fascinating. I have a YouTube video showing it:

I was jw bc I have noticed one of mine is finally bigger than the other and she started "shaking" at the other one and was in middle tank away from everything...

It starts the way Nu-Nu describes it, as a dominance establishment. Once that is out of the way, it can be weeks, or even years before the net stage. The male will pay more attention to the female's anal fin, and the female will get plump. When spawning is nearer, the two will begin to obsessively clean an area of rock or some other surface with both mouths and fins. This will be most likely very near whatever they have hosted, if anything. It will be in their territory, though.
When spawning is imminent, the female's ovipositor will become visible. Actual egg laying will probably be after dark. The female will lay her eggs and the male will follow to fertilize. They will guard the eggs until they hatch.
Once they hatch, if you want them to survive, they will need to be removed. The odds of clownfish fry surviving in a display tank are very slim.
There are some great articles and even entire books dedicated to breeding clownfish. It's a really fun read! I eventually hope to give it a try myself.
Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom