Speaking of Salt Mixes, has anybody seen this S-15 Report?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spinman

Aquarium Advice Freak
As I'm ready to replace my first bucket of salt (Oceanic), my head's spinning on what to replace it with. Seems it's not a clear cut choice.

In my googling of info., I found this site that talks about how thay tested all the major salt mixes and none of them provided what the labels claim.

Has anyone else seen this and is it valid?

Mike

http://www.aquacraft.net/sp0003.html

frankly its hard to believe claims on some websites, and the lack of professional web design on the link you provided doesn't sit well with me.

Regardless, Are you having problems with the Oceanic salt? because it's best to stick to one brand for consistency, unless it's giving you problems.

I started with IO, but it didn't dissolve well, had whacky high alk and low calcium and left me with a weird pH.

So I switched to Oceanic, which dissolves rapidly, has balanced calcium and alk, and my pH is normal.

Some love their IO, others swear by Oceanic, while still others like Reef Crystals or another brand.

Am I missing something or is there no link to the actual report that this page is based on? I remember seeing (back in January) a report that compared different salt brands to NSW but I haven't been able to find anything of the sort in spite of many searches over the last 3 months.

I would say what is the worry. Synthetic Sea Salt has been used for years, tested tried and true... ask Sea World...He he... All of the brands will have some differences in potency of the ingredients due to settlement, age, etc... in the manufacturing process... But let's be real, with all of the people that use the many different products, is the difference in potency enough to cause worry and frustration? It really boils down to testing and adding what is missing. Trial and error is a personal thing.. What you like may not be what others like etc...

I made the switch to Oceanic myself and what I have purchased has been reliable in Cal, Alk, and PH as well.

I also want to go on the record to say that there is nothing wrong with IO, IMO. I switched to Oceanic mainly because it was new on the market at the time and I was extremely satisfied... Now if I could only get my fish to tell me what the real difference is :lol:

Back
Top Bottom