Specific Gravity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bj5z25

Aquarium Advice Regular
In my tank my sg is 1.025 and it is full and doesnt need any more water added. How fast will the sg raise? Is mine too high or can it wait a couple of days for a little RO water?

1.025 is fine ... I wouldn't worry about it raising too fast just keep up on your top off's and you should be fine!

If your refering to the 75 thats listed in your sig then you would have to leave it unattended for well over a week before you would notice any significant SG changes due to evaportaion. On a take that size you should expect about 1 gal of evaporation per day so that would be about 7 gal per week. As has been mentioned 1.025 is right on the money and is where you should strive to be. As the water evaporates out of the tank the salt and other elements remain and thus the less water you have the more consentrated these will be. It will take a decent level of evaporation before your SG gets so high its not managable and simply replacing the evaporated water with fresh (unsalted) water your SG will fall back in line at 1.025.

Back
Top Bottom