Sponges for ph - what kind of sponge?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckycat

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'd like to get a couple of sponges for the ph on my MaxiJet 900. I've done some looking around, and the cost for these sponges seems outrageous, like $6 for a pair. Not that I can't afford a measly $6, but they are just sponges, aren't they? And then add $5-6 for s/h (I can't find these things at lfs). Anyone us any off-the-shelf sponge material from hardware stores or whatever successfully?

I looked at some sponges at a local Wal-mart, and they were clearly marked "Not for aquarium use" or something like that - perhaps because some of them contain chemical compounds to reduce the growth of germs.

in general most people here would say ditch the sponge idea since it will be a nice nitrate producting factory later on for you. I have removed the sponges that came with my power heads and let them run without them.

luckycat said:
I looked at some sponges at a local Wal-mart, and they were clearly marked "Not for aquarium use" or something like that - perhaps because some of them contain chemical compounds to reduce the growth of germs.
Actually most contain fungacides or chems to reduce the instances of mildew. Whatever you decide on, be sure they are aquarium safe.

As far as the need for the sponges, it will primarily depend on what's kept in the tank that could possibley fall prey to it's impeller. Typically small weaker fish, anemones, nudibrancs and the like.

Cheers
Steve

If you don't consider to take Iziarek's advice (which has merit) you can go to Petco and buy "AquaClear" filter insert foam and cut it into smaller pieces which you can fashion as a PH intake filter by making some internal slits in it with an exacto knife. Just slide it over the intake. I paid $1.29 for the 10-30 gal size package and cut it to make 4 filters for my PH. That's about as cheap as I could do it.

jmc said:
If you don't consider to take Iziarek's advice (which has merit) you can go to Petco and buy "AquaClear" filter insert foam and cut it into smaller pieces which you can fashion as a PH intake filter by making some internal slits in it with an exacto knife. Just slide it over the intake. I paid $1.29 for the 10-30 gal size package and cut it to make 4 filters for my PH. That's about as cheap as I could do it.

Perfect! That's what I was looking for...I'll see if I can find a somewhat local Petco... and by the way the reason I'm looking for a foam surround is that I have a new little tiny blue tang who already got caught on the intake for a HOB filter that I had in my qt. Was very nervous about having him attached to the intake of my phs.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom