Sps coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
when I cut my frag I had to chip away part of the coral that's alive. I imagine that the OP is going to do the same because you can never be precise enough to just cut away the dead part and make the remaining coral intact
I encourage leaving some of the live tissue on the dead part. This will not hurt a coral. It's called "fragging". Everyone's doing it with no Ill effects.

I don't think it's a lighting issue, but I will say that those lights don't have much blue. Blue is a more important color than white, especially if what they say is true about LED's being so limited in terms of spectrum.

I don't think it's a lighting issue, but I will say that those lights don't have much blue. Blue is a more important color than white, especially if what they say is true about LED's being so limited in terms of spectrum.

Which ones u recomend?

I encourage leaving some of the live tissue on the dead part. This will not hurt a coral. It's called "fragging". Everyone's doing it with no Ill effects.

Frag off any dead parts as this will encourage growth. I've received or came across countless corals with decay or dead spots. Frag it off and within a few months in the rights conditions you'll have some nice new growth. Also those lights are def your prob. Not enough for sps, maybe softies and nps. I have those exact lights over a fw fo tank bc that's about all they are good for.

There is a model on eBay that is similar to the marine land unit but its called beamswork quad and I believe there is another called green works evo they have a reef capable unit that uses stronger led bulbs than the marine land and the unit is around the same price i have it on my tank and it is bright on the sandbed 2ft down don't have any sps but it is one bright unit.

my bubble tip won't sit at 12" under it when it's on full daylight it says its 52 3w bulbs but they are probably not running at full my zoa seems to like it and its pretty high I don't have a par reader through would love to know

A green paly on the bed and a candy cane at 18" at least doing good a frogspawn a bit higher also good

That's what the purple flat rock is for i can't adjust the power so I am afraid of bleaching i also haven't seen a piece of sps that catches my eye at my locals shops

Alright have had a piece of sps acro for 10 days and its doing great even seems to already have gotten some growth

My acro frags seem to all grow out about the same way. They first get a footing established, then grow out at the top. Sometimes the base will grow out over the plug and sprout a new colony even before the main colony sorts itself out and grows. And some acros need a surprisingly small amount of PAR, while others that can look similar needs loads of PAR. The PAR amount associated with the intensity of the flow patterns changes the size and shape of the acros . Just my observations.

Oh I am still learning thanks for the info. What type of sps should I look for to see if these lights have enough to get the job done.

Back
Top Bottom