stainless steel in tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KLN

Aquarium Advice Regular
Is it safe to have a stainless steel tubing clamp in a reef tank?

Is it safe to have a stainless steel tubing clamp in a reef tank?
I would'nt do it. Titanium or platinum should be safe. :)
A nylon wire tie should hold soft tubing to a hose barb if you're worried. Soft tubing on a hose barb should be OK by itself, especially in the tank where it won't pose a hazard if it comes off.

No. stainless uses other metals, nickle etc to "keep " it from rusting. Actually stainless should be called stainslower. It takes longer to rust, but I will. I would do as anemoneman suggests and use plastic cable ties

yea i have used one to hold the lid to my beckett injector holder which is about 10" above the water line and it still rusts quite fast even there !!

a few facts about stainless:

stainless uses other metals, nickle etc to "keep " it from rusting

it's actually the Cromium in the metal which keeps it from corroding. Any steel with greater than 10.7% Cromium is classified stainless. You will find that most stainless grades will not rust whilst in the water as rust generally works better in air however, anything less that marine grade 316 stainless steel will be vulnerable to corrosion and pitting. If you do want to use any stainless hardware make sure that it is 316 grade, anything else and you're simply wasting your money.

i've replaced all my external plastic piping with stainless tubing, and there is no rust what so ever, but that's only cos i've got heaps of it lying around at work - shhh ;)

Back
Top Bottom