Star fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheGrapeApe

Aquarium Advice Freak
Does anyone know of a star fish that doesn't look like worms that's safe for a reef

Does anyone know of a star fish that doesn't look like worms that's safe for a reef

Im not sure of the species I know there are some pretty cool looking ones at my local aquarium store sorry wish I had name but definetly keep looking

Not sure of the name of it but they are quite popular. They are the red ones (blue too but heard these are harder to keep!) you see at the LFS. Also if you have a big enough tank you could get a sand sifting star (must have sand not crushed coral) they are cool! Before I started learning about stuff I thought I could trust the word of a LFS well come to find out they wanted to make $ and could care less about what you had for a tank! That's how I got my sand sifting star! I only have a 55gl (doing 150gl build now) but he's been in it for about 7mo and he's doing great!

Just do some research but there are definitely reef safe stars!!! They are such a cools invert to watch!

The sand sifting stars generally slowly starve to death as they consume everything in the sand bed. The other starfish referenced are linkia stars that come in orange, red, and blue.

Definitely avoid any of the knobby looking stars including chocolate chip since you're planning a reef.

I'm pretty sure Reefs2go.com will have all your aquarium needs.

Last edited:
The sand sifting stars generally slowly starve to death as they consume everything in the sand bed. The other starfish referenced are linkia stars that come in orange, red, and blue.

Definitely avoid any of the knobby looking stars including chocolate chip since you're planning a reef.

Yes that's what I've heard from everyone but he'll eat frozen too if I can get a good sized piece under him. I'm sure he'll be happier in the 150gl! But as the stories go the LFS shouldn't have suggested him for me for what size tank I have! Luckily he'll eats frozen food so he's alive and well.

Yes that's what I've heard from everyone but he'll eat frozen too if I can get a good sized piece under him. I'm sure he'll be happier in the 150gl! But as the stories go the LFS shouldn't have suggested him for me for what size tank I have! Luckily he'll eats frozen food so he's alive and well.

What kind do you have. Do you have reef too?

Yes 55gl reef, my info it's extremely out of date so I have to find time to get on the computer to update it because you can't do it from the app! :-(

I got my starfish. Ty

Attachments

• image-1270869004.jpg
    image-1270869004.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 103
ve a starfish in my tank that is not a serpent star,hes solide i guess you could say! lol but i dont know of the name but he is orande with little,little black speccles on him!

ve a starfish in my tank that is not a serpent star,hes solide i guess you could say! lol but i dont know of the name but he is orande with little,little black speccles on him!
Sounds like a red bali starfish. I believe them to be Fromia sp.

Back
Top Bottom