Star fish poops a lot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

haus

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've noticed that my choc chip star is excreting daily or every other day lately. Is that normal. It may be that I have been watching the tank more lately, and haven't noticed before, but of the past week I have seen him up against the glass 5 times turned inside out. He did lose a "chip" a while back and it seems to be growing back now, could it be his metabolism is increasing while he is regrowing the "Chip"?

haus said:
I have seen him up against the glass 5 times turned inside out.
Nothing to be concerned about. This is how most species of starfish digest their foods, outside the body. The stomach is excreted around the food, dissolved and the nutrient taken in.

Some stars are actually quite large waste producers and will release large amounts of waste into the water column, more commonly with brittle stars and the like (predaceous types). This will moreso be a light colored milky liquid (kinda gelatinous) that will rise free of the body. While easting, nothing is released.

Cheers
Steve

AAAAHHHHHH, I thought that is how they excrete waste. He is an aweful messy eater then, after he leaves, there is always a smear on the glass. Thanks Steve, and kudos to you!!! :D

Back
Top Bottom