Star polyps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Konrade

Aquarium Advice Freak
Where should I place them in my 10 gallon standard? I have a powersweep rated 160 gph on the right side, should I place them there towards the top? I have 13 watts per gallon cf. TIA
'

Mine are not really picky about light, but I have found that they are happier with a moderate flow. Put them wherever you want them to spread. Once they have spread to another rock, you can move the main piece to another location and get another colony started. I currently have 4 colonies from the original one.

JG

I think I have mine in a flow that is too great. I have a small rio pump in my 10 gallon and I think it puts out between 80-100gpm. I am waiting for a new pump that does 60-80gpm to come in the mail.

By polyps seems to not be going too great. Don't know what it is. I have 9.6 watts per gallon and thought that was a lot but you have 13 per gallon and that is a lot more. SO maybe my issues are onl;y with flow and nto overlighting.

I did have a 2 of the polyps break loose and they ended up gettign stuck under a rock on the otehr side of the tank sort of in the sand bed. So far this run-away polyp is going great and has already produced a 3 polyup. They look better and open more cause they are in a shaded area. Hopefully they will keep growing.

Sorry to hijack but,

What is the deal with Star Polyps?? I had a nice size chunk of GSP in my 12 gal. Nano under 48watts of CF. They did great for a while and then all of a sudden started losing color.

In the meantime I had a little cyano break out and decided to move them into my 29 gallon which has just NO lighting. I placed them at the very top of the tank in what I consider moderate flow and now they are doing great!!!! They are real green again and very bushy, where as in the Nano they started to thin out and turn brownish/white?

I have read several different opinions on there lighting requirements. Some say mid-high light and some say they strive under NO lighting? Until I see them take a turn for the worse in my 29gal. I think I'll leave them in there!

I think that they are medium light to high light. However in lower light situations they tend to extend themselves and make themselves bigger because they need to use every possiable surface to gain light. In the higher light situations they don't need as much light so they tend to stay small.

I don't know. I don't have star polyps but I have sand polyups. I was told and have heard that they are super easy and will multiply like crazy. However so far I am finding that out of the 3 corals that I have in my tank they are doing the worst.

I have a bubble coaral that is doing great and even growing. I feed him once every week to two weeks with some shrimp. He loves it. Other than that he just gets the lighint (96W on a 10gallon) and whatever is in the water (food). I havea rock with mushrooms on it. They seem to be fine. They are not in shade soe the lighting is a bit overpowering for them but they still have some color (no bleaching). However they have not multiplied or moved yet.

The polyps are ok looking but jsut not very healthy looking. SOem days there are a bunch that are closed up. The rock they are on never seems stable and I think a few have been dissloged. 2 of those ended up in a shaded portion of the tank where they seem to be thriving. Only bad part is they are somewhat close to the bubble coral but I am not goign to worry about that until they are touching. (my bubble has small feeler arms)

Back
Top Bottom