Starfire glass - gimmick or greater clarity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mojo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've read where a lot of people are getting tanks with starfire (or starphire) glass due to its increased clarity. I can't seem to find one to look at for comparison and don't know if it's worth the extra cash. Anyone know firsthand if it's that much of a difference or worth the cost? TIA

I would be interested in that... seems like the glass in most aquariums has a degree of distortion to it, esp when you look at something at an angle through the glass.

Check out this link I found....amazing clarity!!!!!

http://www.reefland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3153&page=1

Thanks for starting this thread Mojo... now I know which tank to get next (even though I need another tank like I need a hole in the head LOL)

If you look way back I posted a thread asking about aquarium glass with better clarity............
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=11487&highlight=clarity

GO GO STARPHIRE!!

YAY!!!!

Thanks, now I'm going to go blow a wad of money I otherwise wouldn't have, thanks a lot. :p

well I just found this link... it does look impressive. Just to note, the supplier used in this link was also mentioned in another link I found where the user had MAJOR complaints about the quality of work and the fact it took nearly a year to get the tank he wanted. I would research who builds the tank for you quite a bit before buying.

[edit]LOL... thats funny we both end up finding the same link :D [/edit]

From what I understand, it removes the green tint alot of glass has. If you look at the edge of a piece of tempered glass, its green. Remove the green, you get a true'er look to the tank.

So I guess I'd summarize the (very helpful) replies above by saying that starphire glass definitely provides improved clarity, although it may be difficult to get and potentially an inferior product ... correct? That being said, anyone out there have a tank with starphire glass who can comment or provide feedback? Is it that much of a difference, and to those of you who have "standard" glass tanks, is the green tint accentuated over time?

Wow that glass is really clear, check it out compared to some normal glass tanks offered on >>EBAY<<. Maybe that's why these tanks are so much cheaper because glass quality is not the best?

Thanks for the link jackdp ... now I'm definitely going to have to get a tank with Starphire. That tank was awesome! Anyone know where to get one?

mojo said:
Thanks for the link jackdp ... now I'm definitely going to have to get a tank with Starphire. That tank was awesome! Anyone know where to get one?

I belive you would have to get one custom made. I'd check with glasscages.com to see if they can make a starphire tank, there prices seem very reasonable.

Does the glass from standard glass tanks take on a greener hue over time? That is, does the clarity degrade? If so, I'll definitely go starphire.

And while we're on the subject of glass, are leaks a major concern long term, even if the tank is perfectly leveled?

All of this info should help me to decide between glass and acrylic.

I have a VERY old tank (it's older than I am, and I'm older than dirt...) It's only a 55 gallon but the glass is about 1/2" thick. The glass doesn't get any "Greener" but with any glass, over many years (and I mean many) you may notice some rippling as the glass sags. As far as leaks, as long as the sealant stays wet you shouldn't have any issues due to age. If the tank dries for a long period of time (say during storage) the sealent may dry out some and cause a leak. The tank i refered to above is over 40 years old and I re-sealed it about 12 years ago (my GAWD i'm old...) but only because it had been used dry (on its side to hold rabbits) for a number of years. I haven't had any leaks since.

Back
Top Bottom