Starry Blenny with Goby?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amanda_marie

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm still trying to decide on another small fish for my tank that will be the next addition, before my last intended stock, toby puffer. I am interested in some of the gobies like the yellow watchmen and clown. However, I have a Starry Blenny (Salarias ramosus) and am not sure how that may play out.

If I understand correctly, its similar body shapes that could cause the aggression issues.

I really would love to have a goby but wanted some opinions before I tried a goby in my tank. My Starry was the first fish in my tank and was introduced at the very beginning of this past November. I'm not the best with judging measurement but he's definitely near full grown, I'm sure at least 4 inches already. He has got along just fine with my pair of Ocellaris Clowns and Melanarus Wrasse.

Does anyone here have experience with Starry Blennys and could offer any insight, especially if it was ever housed with a goby?

Or any suggestions on which gobys might would fair best?

Also, my tank is a 60 gallon and contains 85lbs of live rock.

Here's a picture of him…just because

Attachments

• image-1405237515.jpg
    image-1405237515.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 119
I have a YWG and a starry blenny in my reef. No problems at all, and they've been in there for about 6 months together. :)

I have a YWG and a starry blenny in my reef. No problems at all, and they've been in there for about 6 months together. :)

This gives me some hope:)

If you don't mind, could you give me more details?

Like the size of your tank, which was in the tank first, their sizes at the times of their introduction, etc...? Anything else that might be significant in the two getting along. I love the yellow watchmen, there was one at my LFS not too long ago and he was soo tiny!

It worries me not only because of their body shapes but just because my starry is of a good size and has been in my tank so long. I'd be worried for the goby if he decided to go after him.

My YWG was in there first, he wasn't very big at the time- still isn't all that big. He lives with the pistol shrimp, but he's out quite a bit at the burrow opening. My starry is a big guy- about 4 1/2-5". He thinks he's in charge of the tank. Haha. But he doesn't harass anyone. My tank is a 55g reef.

My YWG was in there first, he wasn't very big at the time- still isn't all that big. He lives with the pistol shrimp, but he's out quite a bit at the burrow opening. My starry is a big guy- about 4 1/2-5". He thinks he's in charge of the tank. Haha. But he doesn't harass anyone. My tank is a 55g reef.

Thanks for sharing.

It sounds like my blenny is right at the same size as yours and I'd say my starry feels the same. He is the biggest fish (wrasse is close to his size though) and I'm sure being first in the tank plays a part in his 'attitude'. :lol:

I guess I'm more worried because the starry is already in tank. I feel if it was the other way around, as in your case, I wouldn't be as concerned. I feel my starry would be more likely to harass (blennys in general) over gobys when it some to a new addition than if the goby was in the tank and the starry added. Shew, hope that makes sense.

Ugh, hard decisions. :facepalm:

Back
Top Bottom