Starting a 40 Gallon Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

barterking85

Aquarium Advice Addict
Looking to start a small fowlr tank I have done my research all I am wondering what size tank I will need for either 2 clowns and a firefish or 1 clown and 1 firefish

I was thinking a 20 gallon would do for 2 clowns and a firefish do you thinks that's fair?

Another question should I use two small ph or 1 large? Also what's a decent brand that's reasonable priced?

And one more question I was thinking of turning my 205 canister into a sump of sorts my plan was to take out the trays and add more live rock with my 20 lbs in the dt, filter floss and some bio media has anyone tried this?

ryan-peddle said:
Another question should I use two small ph or 1 large? Also what's a decent brand that's reasonable priced?

And one more question I was thinking of turning my 205 canister into a sump of sorts my plan was to take out the trays and add more live rock with my 20 lbs in the dt, filter floss and some bio media has anyone tried this?

You will have no problem doing inverts also.

For powerheads its always better to so 2 or more instead of 1 so your more flexible and can eliminate more dead spots. Look into Koralias. I have 2 550gphs in my 20 that do a good job.

As for the canister. No need for biomedia, your live rock does the same job. Using live rock and a bag of carbon would be best in my opinion.

ryan-peddle said:
How about 2 marineland maxi jet pro 500gph?

That will work but you get what you pay for in this hobby, maxijets are loud, unreliable and not as effective as powerheads, good for utility pumps but thats about it.

Im still not impressed in the least with them. I have about 5 of them i use for various things but ive had multiple failures, and the powerhead configuration is too direct, always leaving more dead spots.

Koralias are quiet, pretty good quality and the performance is up there with any pump besides vortechs for the most part. Also hydor has great service, ive had no problems getting free replacement parts fast under warranty also with a simple email. Worth the little extra money in my opinion.

No doubt about that. I have had the old maxi and the new ones and there is a difference . Still prefer koralias.

I am just trying to understand the price difference here in Canada the maxi jets are 19.99$ for the 500gph and for the koralia 59.99$ for the 550 gph?? That's a big jump is there anything in between price and quality?

There is a very big difference. Check if petmountain .com will ship to Canada . I have my third koralia coming from them tomorrow . Paid $32 us dollars plus shipping for the 1050 gph model. If I remember right the 500gph is around $20 us .

I've had some of the old Maxi-jets running for close to 8 years, and besides the mounts being crappy, I've never had an issue with them.
After reading reviews of the Koralias running backwards and being loud on a wavemaker at startup, I decided to get 2 of the new Cobalt Aquatics 1200's to replace 2 aging Maxis.
They are quiet and can blow current the full 6 feet of my tank with some decent force.
With the aftermarket magnet mounts and some creative placement, I'm happy with the results.
I would love to get a couple MP 40 Ecotech's but since that would run me close to a GRAND!!, I'm happy with my $100+ decision.
I have 4-1200's in my 180 on a wavemaker, and my returns give me approximately 1500gph. Collectively there is plenty of flow, placement of the pumps is key to avoiding dead spots

Yes koralias can have problems on wavemaker ive experienced this first hand. But that is the only problem im aware of. Them running backwards is the result of the wavemaker however easily fixed with new free grilles from hydor shipped priority mail.

Well you can do no skimmer, skimmer and makeshift sump or just skimmer.

No true need for a skimmer in this size tank. As long as your doing regular water changes and siphoning sandbed then you will be ok.

Schism said:
Well you can do no skimmer, skimmer and makeshift sump or just skimmer.

No true need for a skimmer in this size tank. As long as your doing regular water changes and siphoning sandbed then you will be ok.

No need to worry about matience I love doing it and I am OCD lol if anything I am in there too much I am sure my fish think I live in there too

I think I will just go with my 205 sump for now and see how things go I can always add a hob skimmer later if I feel the need too

And for live rock I think I will go 25 lbs all live (little extra for the sump) and how many lbs of sand and do I need live sand?

Back
Top Bottom