Starting a sump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2g2ner

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can you, and how do you make a sump for a tank that is not made to have one? I have an older tank and it does not have an over flow or anything. I wanted to start a small sump and put some frags in there with a light and start growing frags? Is this possible?

yep,use an syphon overflow box and plumbing,there is plenty of threads explaining this method in the DIY section.I use the eshopps800

Oh I'm sorry. I should have searched better. Thank you though!

I been thinking about making a wet dry sump as well.I been checking out YouTube.got lots of different ideas.check out my first drawing

Attachments

• image-2374082121.jpg
    image-2374082121.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 256
I would loose the sponge section and use some filter socks and clean them weekly,try to make the sump as large as you can as the return section looks to be small,but you've got the right idea.

Thanks Dave.i'm up for suggestions I have an open mind.and I was thinking what to do about the sponge just not sure what to use.maybe a filter pad on top.and I was trying to leave room for water in the line in case of a power outage but I could make it bigger.Thanks

Those are bio balls on the left top... Lol

This is what I'm I been working on for the last 4 months.let's just say I'm hooked

Attachments

• image-3549512199.jpg
    image-3549512199.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 229
Thanks I have a great idea for the return as well I'll draw it up tomorrow

Fozzy225 said:
I been thinking about making a wet dry sump as well.I been checking out YouTube.got lots of different ideas.check out my first drawing

You could always check a professionally made sump/fuge and copy its design, but adjust the size to fit your setup. I personally own a ecosystem pro 4216 model and love it. Their sumps are designed for high flow. I run 2400 gallons an hour through mine which is great for the fuge part and main tank. You can never go to big. Just remember when designing your sump to leave enough room for a power outage. Many people including me have been very disappointed when we come home to a power outage and the check valve has let a trickle by for the last 10 hours and the floor is soaked. That's why this time I decided to go way overboard and get a huge sump. The added volume is always a benefit anyway. Last, watch out for sponges or filter pads, when they clog there's nowhere for the water to go. When a filter sock clogs and overflows, its goes into the sump anyway. Add a sock the simple way and purchase a $29 7" or 4" hang on sump holder.

Personally I would get rid of the last "up" stage on the bubble trap because you are creating another wall where water will overflow and produce bubbles. I did just like you at first and then got rid of it later.

Last edited:
Been busy.This is a fast drawing of one of ideas. my other one is kind of the same but I would put returns on the sides of the tank.but I would love to know what size pump and pipe I should use

Been getting great feed back
Thanks guys

Attachments

• image-2230724849.jpg
    image-2230724849.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 114
Smitty said:
Personally I would get rid of the last "up" stage on the bubble trap because you are creating another wall were water will overflow and produce bubbles. I did just like you at first and then got rid of it later.

Wow I didn't see that I'll change it up. Thanks

The sized pump is going to depend on how many GPH your drain will do. So if your overflow puts 500 GPH of water down to your sump then you will want a pump that will put 500 GPH of water back into the tank - taking into consideration head height loss (the higher it has to pump up, the lower the rating so you may need one rated at 950 because after pumping up 3-4' it is only at 500).

The sized pipe will depend on what your pump wants. If your pump is rated at say 500 GPH at 4' height with 3/4" pipe, then that is what you would use because any other size would change what the pump can do.

Having fun yet? :)

Yea having lots of fun I love this hobby. 4 months in and I'm hooked : )

Been busy.This is a fast drawing of one of ideas. my other one is kind of the same but I would put returns on the sides of the tank.but I would love to know what size pump and pipe I should use

Been getting great feed back
Thanks guys
I did this when I first setup my tank,the returns were plumbed down the left back corner along the bottom and up the right back corner,this was so I could get good water flow behind the LR,after about 6 months I removed it all because it was collecting and storing too much rubbish from the tank.There are some photo's of it in my profile

Back
Top Bottom