Still having high nitrate issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i have two hob filters.. (emperor 400's) and a canister filter on my 125. i have no nitrates to speak of... also using cheato in the 10g sump though..

I could only see those causing issues in the long run. however your chaeto is most likely tearing up your nitrates.

Thanks... I'll try removing the HOB and adding a bit of cheato to the main until I get a sump going to see if that helps. Thanks!

If you have 80lbs of LR ditch the HOB and get a HOB Skimmer with 2 Koralia's if you have any current or flow in your take already. CPR Bak-Pak 2R+ skimmer would work perfect for your system.

she has a skimmer

'Buy a more expensive skimmer? ( I have the coralife rated up to 65 gallons.. seems to be making good skimmate though)'

Melinda, Kurt is giving you great advice. It's the only way to truely trouble shoot your problem. Nothing happens fast except errors in a SW tank so take it slow and you should be Okay.
TC

Ahhh... shucks. :oops:

But seriously, I don't have a problem with HOB filters, and my gut feel is that it isn't causing the problem here. Catmel strikes me as someone that is pretty meticulous when it comes to tank maintenance. And I know for a fact that HOBs filters don't equal nitrates. I have two myself and have barely measurable nitrates (0.5-1.0) that are just a little over my freshly made salt water.

BUT... it also won't hurt to remove it for a while and see what happens. If nothing improves, at least that's one more thing to cross off the list.

Ahhh... shucks. :oops:

But seriously, I don't have a problem with HOB filters, and my gut feel is that it isn't causing the problem here. Catmel strikes me as someone that is pretty meticulous when it comes to tank maintenance. And I know for a fact that HOBs filters don't equal nitrates. I have two myself and have barely measurable nitrates (0.5-1.0) that are just a little over my freshly made salt water.

BUT... it also won't hurt to remove it for a while and see what happens. If nothing improves, at least that's one more thing to cross off the list.

heh Thanks :) I do try to take care of my fishies. To a point I actually enjoy tank maintance. I turned off my HOB filter, going to try it for a bit untl I can afford to get a sum / fuge.

Are there any good 'how to' type sites for adding a sump to a non drilled tank? I'm quite clueless there.

I appreciate everyones help so far tons!! :)

I just put one together on my 55.... Depending on how big your stand is I would recommend a 20Gallon Sump/ Refugium for your system or larger if you can fit one under your tank. I had to do a 10gallon since I only had room just for that. Check out what I did with mine.
The Over flow box I got is an Eshopps off of RC for real cheap almost brand new if you can find someone that is offering one for you I would get it. 2nd I got a Return Pump, I think Mag Drives are a good brand to get I have the Mag 7 since my Overflow was rated for 800GPH my Mag7 is rated for 700GPH this should do the just fine.

img_983492_0_65d930a535416938694469cbd7f479c6.jpg

Here is my Sump I drill the hole myself with a 45mm Glass drill bit from BRS.
img_983492_1_8c00302436f03bb52b7139edc8434e43.jpg

You will have to do some plumbing If you do it you can use 1' PVC piping
img_983492_2_887136e5241f366123fb52747b4cbe59.jpg

Return Side
img_983492_3_3aa339a2e3f112f1e51826839ce41905.jpg

Here is the sump and refugium under the tank.
img_983495_0_042d245ebb952f3ad11054b43b9e7bee.jpg

img_983495_1_541fd822a0deb1b14bb8e94a01e9b9e6.jpg

Finished
img_983495_2_46eff1b4be0af44b30c6e23097042a51.jpg

The reason I drilled the tank was becasue I was going to attach a second 10Gallon tank as a whole Refugium But when I was plumbing them together I cracked it. I put to much pressure moving it around. Just in case if you were wondering.

its really not that complicated when you sit down and just do it. if you keep looking around and wondering whats involved.. its more complicated than it really will be. that was the case for me anyways.

its really not that complicated when you sit down and just do it. if you keep looking around and wondering whats involved.. its more complicated than it really will be. that was the case for me anyways.

If you use glass, care. Don't be like me an cut yourself :p

I would look on You Tube, There are a lot of video's that should show you how to put a Sump together with a Fuge.... That's how I figured out what I wanted to do....

Is it ok just to throw lots of macro algae into the HOB? I dont need a special light or anything over it /extra to turn it into a hob fuge/algae holder do I?

Btw, any algae better than the other to use? Eg : cheato over culerpa etc?
i would like to now this as well wat type of lighting does this alage need to survive?

I would stick to your standard 6500k-10k bulbs for macroalgae growth. Some people keep their lighting on 24/7; however, a reverse daylight cycle is sufficient. I personally like the Aqualight Mini, but on a whole depends on the size of your refugium. The macroalgae will eventually have to be trimmed of excessive growth or asexual behavior can develope regardless of your lighting sequence. If you dose chemicals, make sure you dose before the intake of your return and after your refugium due to chemical concentrations possibly causing your macroalgae to turn asexual. The best macroalgaes to utilize are Chaetomorpha and Grape Caulerpa (Caulerpa racemosa seems to be most popular, but there are other "grape" varieties). Due to the sheer size Chaetomorpha can attain in a refugium, it would be wise to keep it well trimmed so not to encroach other macroalgae species and also prevent detritus buildup. Refugiums need alot of flow to keep the macroalgaes flush.

i cheated a little with my cheato... i had a old beretta water filter gallon.. thing... a jug lol whatever... i put it in there... put my feed line into that jug first.. then let it fall into the refuge... then do its thing... that way the cheato is in one spot. and not just taking over my refuge =D ill submit a pic in a bit.

Back
Top Bottom