Stocking help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

superdave07

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello my 39g fish only tank has been running for about 6 months now and I have been trying to keep nice fish in the tank. I have two clowns that have been doing great now for two months now I had a blue tank for a month and that's the problem it died after I did a water change also like three mouths ago the same thing happen to my cleaner fish. My leaves where at salinity at 29 I think was the problem nitrates 0.5 - 0.8. I've have the salinity at 31 now and plane on raising it up to about 32 with in this week. So I need help what can I add to my 39g I want something beautiful like the blue tank but something hardy as the clowns and how many more fish should I add. Thanks for the help

Mines at 25 was at 26 but I reduced it I would get loads of ro/di water don't add any salt and remove than add fresh water to bring solidity down to at least 26

For fish I would say a purple firefish, flasher wrasse, plenty of gobies or blennies to chose from that are colourful. Is it fish only or reef? I have a crazy coloured puffer fish which is awesome :)

Hello my 39g fish only tank has been running for about 6 months now and I have been trying to keep nice fish in the tank. I have two clowns that have been doing great now for two months now I had a blue tank for a month and that's the problem it died after I did a water change also like three mouths ago the same thing happen to my cleaner fish. My leaves where at salinity at 29 I think was the problem nitrates 0.5 - 0.8. I've have the salinity at 31 now and plane on raising it up to about 32 with in this week. So I need help what can I add to my 39g I want something beautiful like the blue tank but something hardy as the clowns and how many more fish should I add. Thanks for the help

Terminology.

Many new members don't know what the standard unit of measurement for salinity is. And many old members assume new members are using a shorthand for of an accepted measurement. For example ;

Salinity of 29 is assumed to be 1.029 SG which is quite high. But it probably means 29 ppt which equates to about 1.021 SG which is low (new member needs to raise it). A target salinity of 31 ppt is about 1.023 SG which is in fact still low.
Raise your salinity to 34ppt or 1.025 which is target.

How does that ASSUME saying go?

Oh, most important, although a blue tank may be ok for a 39 gal, a BLUE TANG is downright WRONG. As he grows he will have his *** on one side and his lips on the other. Tell a 2" blue tang he is small, and gel will look you right in you eyes and say "Nope, I'm an 18" fish idiot". Then he will get ick and die, killing everything else in your tank.

Sorry I assumed your where using a refractomoter to get your target of 1.031 I have mine at 1.025 I'm a newbie and use new equipment so some of the old school gang will use the equipment there used to

Ok guys thanks for the help on the salinity leave, I think I'm good with that I need help with stocking now thanks

Back
Top Bottom