Stocking my 90 reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rich42082

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I currently have a sailfin tang and 3 damsels. I plan on adding A yellow Pygmy Angelfish
A yellow watchman And 3 pajama cardinals.

Am I over stocking my tank? I plan on upgrading my tank I know I need a bigger tank for my sailfin.

Ok change of plans.

I ordered....

1 coral beauty
1 lawnmower blenny
1 yellow watchman
2 clown fish
3 green chromis
1 mandarin goby

To go with my sailfin tang and 3 damsels.

Did I over do it? What are your thoughts? I have a 55 gallon tank that is fully cycled with no fish so if I am over stocked in my 90 I can just add them to my 55.

Are these 13 fish too much for my 90 and also since this is an online order what's the safest way to add all these fish? I've heard it's not a good idea introducing too many fish at a time. I am planing on adding the coral beauty last.

Well you should not have bought all of them at the same time, when you add them all to your tank hopefully your cycle doesnt get thrown out of wack. Nothing you can do now except hope they wont all die from spikes

Add them in the dark so the tang and damsels are hiding. My only worry for you is the 3 damsels you already have, they are notoriously teritorial and mean. Mine was fine for a year then went to the dark side. Could you transfer them to the 55 and start a damsel only tank? Just a thought...

My tanks been running for about 8 months now. Would it still cause a spike? And am I over stocking the tank?

I can try and catch them and transfer to the 55 if they are going to be a problem. One is a domino and the other two are yellow tail.

So if I transfer the 3 to the 55 gallon then all the other fish should be fine?

I also got some serpent and brittle starfish. Is my bandit shrimp going to kill them?

New question and sorry for all the questions.

Should I add all the new fish to my 55 gallon since I don't have any live stock in the 55. Wait a month and then slowly start adding them to my 90? My 55 only has live rock, sand and snails.

Thanks for all the advice. I think my best bet is to do the following.

90 gallon: sailfin tang, lawnmower blenny, watchman, 2 clowns w bubble tip anemone, 6 chromis and 1 mandarin. I also have a coral bandit shrimp.

55 gallon: 6 damsels, 1 coral beauty.

Any thoughts on this line up? Should I move or change any of these? I appreciate all the help.

Get a princess parrot. And maybe a pair of watchman gobys. Sixline wrasse. Get an ivory welk for a cool snail. Lawnmower blenny. All good choices

All good advice but I have already purchased these fish and a six line is not reef safe. I have a bunch of corals in my 90. Did you mean to add a six line to my 55 along with the current line up?

That would make it 13 fish in my 90. Wouldn't this be too many?

In my 55 reef, I have 2 occy clowns, a coral beauty, green mandarin, lawnmower blenny, indigo dottyback, and a pj cardinal. You could house all of them if you have good filtration. My oversized skimmer helps.

Ok, so I should be fine with the 12 fish for now and if everyone is getting along I could add a sixline. I had one before though and it would pick at my CUC and at some corals.

Defiantly get an oversized skimmer. I have a reef Octo on my 29 that Is for a 90 gal and never have any nitrates. I also douse red sea nitrate and phosphate reducer which works IMO

Back
Top Bottom