Stocking suggestions for small hang-on tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ahochan

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi,

I have just purchased a small hang-on tank (about 2 liters).

I'm looking for stocking suggestions. I've been thinking of a shrimp and goby pair. If I do that, would it be possible to combine with a couple of other small crabs, or a hermit, or a small shrimp?

The water flow is not very fast, but is sufficient to keep to temperature stable (although I suspect it will vary a bit more than the main tank, and at least be a bit colder in winter.)

I don't know about saltwater, but--half a gallon is going to be a challenge to stock at all surely? I am not anti-small tank, I have a half gallon tank, and several 1gs. But anything under a gallon is for plants and very small snail species. I start shrimp in 1g minimum. I don't put fish in until it is 5g or above. Just my observation of what works.

Too small for any goby or shrimp IMO. Possibly a couple sexy shrimp and a snail or 2.

Just to clarify: The tank is connected directly to the 100 l main tank, so in terms of water parameters, putting anything in the small tank should be the same as putting it in the main tank (which is not very heavily stocked).

My idea was to put something really small in there that would immediately hide out of sight if I were to put it in the main tank.

Last edited:
They weren't referring to water params when the said too small, they were referring to the amount of space that there is to move around in there. Sticking a living thing in that is like you living in a box, just too small IMO.

Hmm, then how about usage as a refugium? What is the safest thing to stick in there that would help increase pod population. Chaeto?

Sand, live rock, plants, mineral mud. There's tons of things you can put in a refugium to make it look nice and increase pod population. Or you can just shove a huge wad of chaeto in there to help nitrates if you have any, and to just plain old keep healthy water conditions. But remember, if your going to be doing a refugium with plants and copepods etc.. your going to need a light to go with it, so the plants can grow right? So there's a couple things to think about right there.

I would reinforce what is said above, water parameters are not everything. Livestock have basic behavioral needs including locomotion needs.

Back
Top Bottom