Storing RO/DI Water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robocop

Aquarium Advice Activist
How long could RO/DI Saltwarts be kept if I had a powerhead in it. Some time I have water left over from water changes and was wondering how long it would last.

If you keep it covered and circulating, it should be fine for a couple of weeks. I've finally gotten my process refined: I do exactly 5gallon water changes. I fill a 5gallon jug with R/O at the grocery store, and dump that in my tub. My drain bucket used to be used for homebrewing...so it has markings every gallon. That way I only remove 5 and only replace 5, so I don't ever have a surplus of mixed water left over.
I have a second 5 gallon jug I use for my daily top-offs.

Just make sure you check the salinity before you use it. You will get some evaporation if its not air tight.

I keep 30 gallons of ro/di water at all times for my autotopoff. It is in a covered trash can. After a couple of months, it begins to smell moldy so I trade out the trash cans. I have two trash cans that I alternate. I also the 30 gallons lasts about 2 weeks and then I have to refill.

I recently switched from using fresh water evaporation replacement to Kalk for evap replacement. (That's worked quite well BTW)

I left the fresh water replenishment tank beside the sump as it was still useful from time to time to turn on the old replenishment system.

Anyway...I noticed the other day that we seemed to have a lot of mosquitoes in the house lately. Sure enough, I had mosquitoes breeding in my old fresh water tank. I can't imagine what they were living on....it's pure RO/DI water, in the dark. There isn't even any algae in there.

Nothing much to do with this particular discussion, but all the talk of keeping water sitting around reminded me.

Back
Top Bottom