Strange disappearance?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Acronuts

Aquarium Advice Freak
Last night I had looked at tank to see how things were coming along. I looked at one of my small zoa colonies and noticed that one polyp was closed but all others were fine and looking heathly.
This morning the whole colony is gone! Stripped right from where they were glued! What happened? Has anyone else experienced this before?

Could be a hitchhiker too. Yesterday at the LFS I saw a black claw from a crab come out and start pulling at the zoa the claw looked to be nearly 1/2 inch long. The employee didn't know what type it was and tried to catch. I am sure there are other hitchhikers that eat them like the nudibranch.
Your flameback angel might have started eating corals as well.

Well the night before I feed mysid shrimp to the whole tank. Maybe one of the polyps grabbed a shrimp and the fish started going for it and fed on the 10 to 12 size colony over night.

Is this a possibility?

Fish wise I have:
Blue regal tang
Flameback angel
Candycane hogfish
Christmas wrasse
Pink/ yellow anthias
Black Percula
Kole Tang
Cleaner wrasse
Green coris wrasse
Inverts:
Blue hermits
Red legged hermits
Snails
Harlequin shrimp
2 cucumbers
2 serpent stars

Any thoughts on any of these hungering for polyps of zoas?

No. But I DO think it's very possible it came unglued and drifted around your tank until it got stuck in some nook or crannie and is out of site. With a 125g tank, I imagine it has a lot of possible hiding spots!

Back
Top Bottom