Strange Growth in Tank???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ketchup318

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi All,

I have noticed over the past weeks a couple of strange growths. The first picture is of a big purple spot, about 2x2 inch across. At first I thought it was the coloration returning to the fiji rock, but after wafting the rock to clean it, I noticed it tear near the top.

The second picture is of something fuzzy growing at the base of one of my rocks. I thought it was dinoflagellates, but there aren't any bubbles in them and they're easy to blow off. Also my snails seem to be doing fine. I'm not sure what it is? Dinoflagellates? Aiptasia?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

BTW my parameters are decent. Zero nitrites and ammonia, 10-20ppm nitrates. I only keep fish, so I don't really monitor anything else.

Attachments

• IMG_1722.jpg
    IMG_1722.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_1730.jpg
    IMG_1730.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 123
First pic looks like Cyanobacteria which stems from water quality issues, just bump up your nutrient export either with a skimmer or more water changes or if your running a sump put some macro algae in it, second pic can't really make it out

2nd pic is a starter of our pest friend aptasia. Cyano first pic.

Thanks for the info... For the cyanobacteria patch, it seems like either lighting or nutrients are the main cause. I have an ordinary T12 full spectrum bulb right now and that's only on between 6pm to midnight. I don't have anything powerful, yet. I was going to wait a couple more months before I started delving into corals.

As for nutrients, My API tests show decent nitrate levels (for FOWLR), about 10-20ppm. I was working on getting this lower, but I'm having a hard time. I do about 10 gallons every 2 weeks (on my 36g DT with 10G sump/refug). I have chaeto that isn't really growing or dying; it's the same size since I got it 3 months ago.

I may be overfeeding. I have 2 clowns, 2 damsels and 1 watchman goby; plus assorted crabs, snails and 1 snapper shrimp. I alternate between 1/2 a tab of the Hikaru frozen brine and pellets (about 40 pellets). I worry that my inverts, particularily the snapper shrimp, isn't getting enough food.

As for the Aiptasia (you can click the picture to get a closer view), I'm really not sure where that came from. I haven't had any new additions for over 2 months. Hopefully, if it is, I can get rid of it quickly.

For that cyano on the rock do a quick water change today and syphon it off that rock, looks like its contained to a small area so you may be able to suck it all off.

For apastia I found lemon juice in a needle (i used a diabetic one) worked awesome.

+1 on lemon juice. Or you can use kalk paste. Be sure to squirt some near the mouth and then plunge syringe in and finish it off. You want to squirt some near the mouth because when they feel threatened they tend to expel eggs/spores out the mouth. You want these dead as well or you may end up with an outbreak of smaller ones in a few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom