stray voltage levels in saltwater aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scottayy

Aquarium Advice Addict
What's an accepable level of stray voltage in a saltwater aquarium?

Is a grounding probe just a cover up to the real problem (after all, there's still voltage in the tank, it just has a way out now) or is it a viable solution rather than replacing equipment?

I'm guessing this level is really bad? I bought this thing today because my finger felt funny when it touched the water when I was doing a water change.

Should I check each piece of equipment one by one?

img_2128921_0_b201608fe3f41fbfe6afabb6a91243a2.jpg

It reads 21.5.

EDIT| I put the black probe in the water and the other probe on my finger. I didn't have any metal near by to touch it to.

Actually now that I read how to use the meter properly it is 30.6. When I unplug my power strip for pumps it drops to 15.8. However, unplugging them individually only gives me 1-2 per plug (except one pump does leak 5 or so). Does everything leak something?

Interesting.... I just tried the same thing with mine & got 4.2v

If it's enough that you feel it, I'd definitely start checking stuff..... I think the most obvious place to start would be the heater, if you have one.

Yes, everything is going to put out some, especially any electric motors.... they work off a magnetic field which is going to leak to the water.

Just shut off my master switch & checked it again.... 3.5v. I'm guessing there's some natural conductivity in a saline solution. At that voltage, you definitely need to start checking things out...... you shouldn't be feeling anything.

Thanks phranque. It wasn't like an ow feeling.. it was more of a tingly weird feeling. I have a rundown of my equipment I'm about to post. Unplugged one by one. What are your thoughts on grounding probes?

Everything off - 1.0 (hmm?)
Everything on - 30.1 - using as a baseline number for when I unplug one by one.

Heater 1 unpluged - 28.4 - difference of -1.7
Skimmer pump unplugged - 27.5 - difference of -2.6
Cooling fan unplugged - 30.1 - difference of 0.0
non-aquarium related plug unplugged - 30.1 - difference of 0.0
koralia 240 unplugged - 29.6 - difference of -0.5
koralia 750 (left) unplugged - 30.3 - difference of +0.2
koralia 750 (right) unplugged - 30.3 - difference of +0.2
reactor pump unplugged - 29.2 - difference of -0.9
heater 2 unplugged - 26.3 - difference of -4.8
moonlights unplugged - 30.6 - difference of +0.5
sump pump unplugged - 30.6 - difference of +0.5
fuge light unplugged - 28.6 - difference of -1.5

I attribute the ones that are higher than my baseline to be due to varying amounts of stray voltage?

That would leave my top offenders at:

Heater 2: 4.8 leaked
Skimmer pump: 2.6 leaked
Heater 1: 1.7 leaked
Fuge Light: 1.5 leaked
Reactor pump: 0.9 leaked

EDIT| Is it worth testing the lights? They hang above the water and have various states. All off. blues on, whites on, white and blues on.. and 2 separate power cords for each light (x2 lights = 4 cords).

I'd say the heater in this case. I'm not an expert but I've worked under an electrician for years. IMHO I'd get a new heater or at least try a different heater and see if the numbers go down.

Saltwater is the biggest conductor of electricity so... Adding all the equipment that we add into salt is always gonna create some leaking. Some more serious then others.

Also the higher the salinity the greater the conduction.

I hope this makes sense. If you need me to I'll try and explain it better.

Wow! That was very informative. The bird analogy helps it to make sense though. Great info Con!

Great info Dino. I've always thought a grounding probe wasn't going to help the situation. I'm dealing with this right now, as a lot of my LPS have been receding. I've got it isolated to either my skimmer, or my circ. pumps. Will try to narrow it down further today, after work. What a pita!! I experienced the same thing, cuticles felt "stingy" when I dipped my hand into the refuge. Hoping that stray voltage is the culprit, been wracking my brain to figure out why these LPS have been slowly dying ... Seems plausible that this has been the cause though, getting there!

scottayy said:
What's an accepable level of stray voltage in a saltwater aquarium?

Is a grounding probe just a cover up to the real problem (after all, there's still voltage in the tank, it just has a way out now) or is it a viable solution rather than replacing equipment?

I'm guessing this level is really bad? I bought this thing today because my finger felt funny when it touched the water when I was doing a water change.

Should I check each piece of equipment one by one?

It reads 21.5.

EDIT| I put the black probe in the water and the other probe on my finger. I didn't have any metal near by to touch it to.

Just a wild guess but a lot of stuff will have a voltage.... By anychance do u have a cut or a opening on area around nail cause that can feel like that with saltwater and volts are not dangerous it's amps u must watch for

Hocky puck said:
Just a wild guess but a lot of stuff will have a voltage.... By anychance do u have a cut or a opening on area around nail cause that can feel like that with saltwater and volts are not dangerous it's amps u must watch for

Actually current is what can kill. You can have amps and volts but without current your out of the danger zone. It's a misconception a lot of times.

You are right though that volts aren't issues amps are BUT you still current to deliver those amps. Trust me. I just wired a a street light today right near a 14Kv line and a house service of 400!

Man was my hair standing on edge. No current so no issues. Plus I have to wear all my hot fancy gear to protect me up to a certain amount of volts.

But it was fun.

Yea I tried going for that I hear the thick leather glover u still feel the current

Have you checked the ground in the wall. They make some cheep testers that plug into your outlet, and let you know if there is a problem. A bad ground could add to the problem.

So I'm definitely going to get a ground probe because *i* don't want to be the ground probe should something serious happen.

I guess testing with the voltage meter before i stick my hands in the water would be a good new idea to add to my regimen lol.

Will the grounding probe help with coral health?

I'm going to try to figure out the problem as much as possible.

Thanks. I just read that and understood it pretty good. There's no current in my tank, just potential for current (stray voltage). A grounding probe would create a path for current and electrify my fish and corals. On the other hand, if something is out of whack, I become the grounding probe.

So, what to do about this stray voltage? Is it harming anything? My Anthelias seems to be melting lately.

So I've googled and I can't find anything really that says stray voltage in the aquarium is bad for corals?

If you want to narrow down what is causing the most voltage, unplug each thing one at a time and then test. I've been looking at the MP 10 because of the electrical being outside the tank. Now, here is my question, if all of your equipment is in your sump, does electricity still travel back into your tank or does it lose or lower some as it goes? I'm not sure if I asked that right! LOL! I guess what I'm saying is that in the ocean it would dissipate at some point..

nikki_kaiser said:
If you want to narrow down what is causing the most voltage, unplug each thing one at a time and then test. I've been looking at the MP 10 because of the electrical being outside the tank. Now, here is my question, if all of your equipment is in your sump, does electricity still travel back into your tank or does it lose or lower some as it goes? I'm not sure if I asked that right! LOL! I guess what I'm saying is that in the ocean it would dissipate at some point..

Ok...guess I should of read the link posted because it said to unplug one at a time as well...sorry!

Convict2161 said:
I'd say the heater in this case. I'm not an expert but I've worked under an electrician for years. IMHO I'd get a new heater or at least try a different heater and see if the numbers go down.

Saltwater is the biggest conductor of electricity so... Adding all the equipment that we add into salt is always gonna create some leaking. Some more serious then others.

Also the higher the salinity the greater the conduction.

I hope this makes sense. If you need me to I'll try and explain it better.

What are normal levels for a saltwater tank?

Back
Top Bottom