Strontum and Iodine question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

malkore

Aquarium Advice Addict
While at the LFS yesterday, I made mention that I'm still having problems getting calcium up to 400ppm (seems i'm stuck at 350) and alkalinity up to 3meq/l (stuck at 2.5). My pH is usually 8.1, and my Mg levels have stayed at 1200-1250mg/l.

I only have mushrooms, yellow colony polyps and just added some button polyps this weekend. Lots of coraline though.

Anyhow, the guy at the LFS mentioned supplementing with strontium...that maybe my coraline is using more calcium than it should because my strontium levels are low. I don't have a strontium test kit, but I'm wondering what you all think?

He also mentioned iodine to brighten up the corals. That's definitely something I won't dose without testing

malkore said:
Anyhow, the guy at the LFS mentioned supplementing with strontium...that maybe my coraline is using more calcium than it should because my strontium levels are low. I don't have a strontium test kit, but I'm wondering what you all think?
Debatable on both issues but if doing water changes every so often, Sr will be replenished to a great degree. You might find this an interesting read...

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2003/chem.htm

Cheers
Steve

Well amazingly, my Alk is finally up to speed, though I only waited 9 hours to test after dosing some Alk buffer. But it was 3.5meq/l and 11dKh by my two test kits.

Calcium was 325ppm, however I didn't dose that earlier, so I dosed this evening. I'm hoping I don't have to dose every single day, but I'd rather do that than have bouncing levels.
Oh and pH was 8.2, and all my corals were wide open, including the new button polyps I got saturday.

malkore said:
Calcium was 325ppm, however I didn't dose that earlier, so I dosed this evening. I'm hoping I don't have to dose every single day, but I'd rather do that than have bouncing levels.
If you do small daily additions, you'll have less issues than larger less frequent additions. Your Ca is quite low to the point where gastropods and crustaceans will start having problems if left too long.

Not sure on your tank size or products but this calculator should help...
http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chem_calc3.html

Cheers
Steve

Steve,

that page is great. I use Kent's dry Turbo Calcium. Its funny, because the label says 1/4tsp per 50gallons (or something like that, I"m not at home to check). I've been tryin 1/2tsp to bring it up...according to that site, to get up to 425ppm I need almost 8 teaspoons!
Of course I can't add that all at once, but no wonder I've not been able to catch up to normal levels...I was being too conservative.

Many thanks...this puts me on a slightly more vigorous dosing routine since I have a better inkling of how much turbo cal will affect my tank.

Yeah, I tried Kalk when I setup at the beginning. It obviously didn't help, because I had too low of a level to start with. Once I can get my levels up to par, I indeed plan to try a kalk drip again.

Back
Top Bottom