stupid question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

quarryshark

Aquarium Advice Addict
Will a plug in GFI, protect my fish from a lightning strike? 8O Or should I use an additional ground?

I don't think either will protect them from a lightening strike, but a plug in GFCI should interupt the powersupply if water gets in it, etc....

Ya, A GFCI (ground fault circuit interuptor) will trip a breaker when it senses voltage on the ground wire indicating a short somewhere. This can save your life if the short is in the tank and you are going to put your hands in it. IMO There isn't much out there that will really protect you from a direct lightning strike. You can get one of those beefy computer surge protectors but even they often fail when hit with the full brunt of a strike. However, they are better than nothing. I do highly recommend the GFCI, either an outlet or plug-in adapter. It is actually required by code that outlets within a certain footage of water sources be GFI protected. HTH

Yes I have a plug in GFI. Thats the main reason I need someone to come in while we are in Cozumel in July. If a storm takes out the power.......

Go with the GFCI anyway, either type will prevent you and your livestock from being killed or seriously injured. These things are a must when electricity is near water!

A power outage wouldn't affect a GFI circuit. The only problem I have here when the power goes out is the skimmer not coming back to life properly (prizm). If you have overflows and sump returns a power outage could also cause a siphon problem if not setup correctly.

Back
Top Bottom