Sufficient CUC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ccantlin

Aquarium Advice Freak
Will two of these packs be enough to clean up my 220g tank?

1Lettuce Nudibranch ~1"
5Nerite Snails ~.5"-1.5"
30Nassarius Snails ~.5-1"
20Cerith Snails ~.5-1"
10XLG Cerith Snails ~1-1.5"
5Turbo Snails ~.75-1.25"
25Blue Leg Hermit Crabs ~.5-1"
5Mexican Red Leg Hermit Crabs ~.75-1.25"
2Emerald Crabs ~1-2"

Reefs2go had a sale for 25% off all free shipping packs so I bought these. Will they get the job done? Just double everything to get the amount of each

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

No problems. Just my lunar wrasse ate most of them and I need to replenish those who were lost

Unfortunately I had to trade him in. I started with one of these packs in my 55g and when I upgraded to my 220 the CUC was transferred over.

I'd skip the red Mexican hermits as the blue legs will kill them off fast ,
nerites do great on the back glass I have 50+ in my 90g , the + is because a few of the nerites had baby's a few months back nowI have tons of 1/8inch baby's this is actually the first time I had baby snails survive kind of neat
never had luck with turbo's as they always died off fast
I have 10 emerald crabs only see them when lights are out 2 would probably get lost in a 220g
Nassarius and Cerith snails I can't keep my lobster eats them as fast as I add them but I do wish I could
yah I think you have a good CUC

I added 10 blue leg hermits to my cuc of at the time about 30 or so snails (can't remember) and the hermits demolished them all. Usually they didn't even take over the new shells which really surprised me. Now I have 4 blue leg hermits because they turned on each other and 4 almost golf ball size turbo snails. I took advantage of the sale too but I made sure to avoid any hermits this time.

As it turns out in my excitement I didn't even click on the pack I thought. I ended up getting two 100+ snail packs. Three of the snails look to have some green star polyps on the shells

They are in a tank with an extremely passive clown trigger, yellow belly puffer, tiny snowflake moray, and zebra moray. There is plenty of meaty foods that are left around after feeding that are gone by morning

Then I hope you have an epic filtration system. Nutrients are not exported by being consumed. All that extra food is going to build up eventually.

Try; an algae scrubber
Three penguin 400
Sea clone skimmer
Cheato
Bio balls
Weekly 20% water changes
200 lbs of live rock
And various supplements

Try what? I wouldn't try it. That's why I'm mentioning it. I haven't seen a seaclone skimmer that I would run on a 40 gallon tank, so you may want to upgrade that. Bio balls will leave you with nitrate, as will the mechanical filters, so keep an eye on your nitrate levels.

My nitrates are a little high now that you mention it. I bought nitrate reducing pads but idk how reliable they are. They are registering between 5-10 on the api test kit

5-10 isn't bad for a FOWLR, but that may change if it's like you say and there are chunks of food around after feeding. Those pads don't do much I'm afraid. Perhaps you could just feed a tad less and it will keep it where it is. I would clean those filter pads in the HOB filters weekly.

I'll try bumping it down to small shrimp instead of jumbo. Hopefully that does the trick

Try; an algae scrubber
Three penguin 400
Sea clone skimmer
Cheato
Bio balls
Weekly 20% water changes
200 lbs of live rock
And various supplements
algae scrubber --isn't going to reduce extremely high nutrients

Three penguin 400-- with your stock they will prove useless

Sea clone skimmer-- Garbage you would be better off with a coke bottle and a straw

Cheato-- can only exurb so much unless your changing it out daily

Bio balls-- garbage your better off with rubble rock

Weekly 20% water changes-- again with that stock should do bigger especially with your filtration

200 lbs of live rock-- isn't going to remove nutrients in that extreme

And various supplements-- hiding a problem don't fix it

nitrate/phosphate pads only exurb so much and would need to be changed out daily

with your stock you really need better filtration

any shrimp with that stock wouldn't last a day (Just a tasty snack)

Last edited:
I pull off golf ball sized pieces every 10-14 days

You don't ant to remove your algae until it's extremely overgrown. The more chaeto you have, the more nutrients it will absorb.

Back
Top Bottom