Suggestions for a sump pump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gatorfreak

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Setting up 90 gal tank that has a sump. It was given to me (used) and when I tested the sump pump, it just blew the fuse. Oh well, gotta buy a sump pump I guess. I have no idea what brands are good. Suggestions?

I haven an Iwaki 40 on my 90. Are you looking for an external pump on in sump pump.

Wow, the Iwaki pumps are really expensive! The 40 series is around $200. Maybe someone can testify as to the quality of the Mag drives? I found the Supreme Mag Drive 9.5 Utility Pump (950 gph) for $60. That price is easier to swallow.

The Iwaki is quieter and will last longer. I have also used little giants and was happy with them.

THe mag pumps are very nice but you cannot run them safely externaly Take a look at the Gen X pumps A 1100 GPH pump is only $149 and just as good as an iwaki!

The return pump all depends on its location, if it is set up in your living room you would be much happier spending the extra money on a quiet pump. The gen x is a good pump but very noisey. the T4 velocity pumps are IMO the quietest. Spend the extra money cause you'll spend it eventually and it'll cost you more having bought 2. 8O

captivereefs said:
THe mag pumps are very nice but you cannot run them safely externaly Take a look at the Gen X pumps A 1100 GPH pump is only $149 and just as good as an iwaki!
Just wondering why can't you run mag drives externally safely, I am using one externally for my return pump and skimmer pump? I hope I don't run into big problems!

The front covers are very thin and one good bump can crack them causing major leaks! Plus they are only sealed by a small o-ring.

Back
Top Bottom