Suggestions for aggressive tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tripper

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm a newbie to the forum, and have a cycled tank that needs more fish. I have a 75g FOWLR that is ready to go. The tank has been running for about 6 months. I have a firefish and a small snowflake eel in it currently, as well as a few snails doing some cleanup work. I want to make this an aggressive tank. Was looking at maybe a puffer, clown or picasso trigger, and a volitan lion. My LFS will take the firefish for me so he doesn't get eaten if that is an issue. Any suggestions for me on the best fish to stock in here? Thanks

A voltian lion is an exelent choice.
Puffers are cool but yeah say bye-bye to your snails or other invert cleaners you may want

I'm not too concerned about losing a few snails. I really just want to have 3 or 4 great fish in the tank. Would a clown trigger be too aggressive for a lion? I know lions will eat anything they can fit in their mouth, but didn't know how aggressive they were with fish of equal size.

Just keep one thing in mind..these guys are VERY messy eaters, so make sure you have a good protein skimmer available. I have an aggressive FOWLR as well, and the crap that comes out of the skimmer is unbelievable!

Also, The Clown Trigger is very aggressive, and will most likely dominate the tank so you should put him last if possible.

Mike

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I do have a good protein skimmer. I have a Aqua C Urchin Pro which is the in-sump version of the Remora everyone seems to like here.

What other types of triggers would you suggest? I like the coloration of the clown trigger, but i am concerned that he would pick on the lion.

Is there anything else you would suggest to go with the lionfish. He is what i want to base my tank around.

Thanks!

Gotta love those clown triggers! I had one before I turned my tank into a reef and they are a great addition. They add very nice color to a tank and are very fun to watch. As mentioned before...bye-bye snails. With a trigger and a lion you may be maxed out for bio-load. They are all very messy eaters and poopers. Water quality will always be an issue. But with a good skimmer (which you have) and regular water changes you should be fine. Good luck...Lando

Get a Niger Trigger. They aren't as aggressive as other Triggers(though still fit the definetion of a aggressive fish). Not to mention they are very fun to watch! My LFS always has them in, and if I had a big enough tank I'd for sure buy one!

I ran into the issue of what to put into mine trigger wise. I checked into a Male Blue Jaw trigger and they have some nice markings (grey/blue/yellow) plus they aren't as aggressive as clown triggers and arentl all black/green like nigers, but nigers are nice fish to have as well. Unfortunately the one i did get ended up getting ich and infecting the whole tank which i am still recovering from. He died with a secondary infection but nobody had ich until he came into the picture. Not that i think they are more prone, but just make sure you QT the fish well before placing into the main tank. The thin skin on triggers can make them easy ich targets from what i have heard.

I have a Niger Trigger in my 90G and he is really awesome. He gets along with everyone in the tank. This type of trigger is well suited for a tank your size as well. A clown gets pretty big, and I have always wanted one but I don't have the right size tank for him though. As everyone said, QT him before you put him in the main tank. In fact, I would probably add him last if you can. Mine is not very aggressive, but each one has different personalities. That is a great skimmer by the way. :)

Mike

Back
Top Bottom