Suggestions for next fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jasoncwrd2002

Aquarium Advice Freak
So started my saltwater aquarium about a month and a half ago. First run at it I started with 3 yellow tail damsels. I tried to make my own salt water. It lasted about a week before they died. Did my research figured out that I had rushed it. Scrubbed the tank and started over with real ocean water since I live in hawaii. After 2 weeks I put 3 stripped damsels in. One of which died in two days, other two are still going strong. A week later I added two clownfish and they are also doing well. Today I got one a potter angel fish. Soon as I finish the acclimation it's going in (hopefully they all get along). Reading on it after I bought it I read that it has a low survaviablity rate.

So question is what should I get next. I want my aquarium to be colourful with fish. I also have a couple Halloween crabs and one hermit crab and a couple of turbo snails. It is a 20 gallon tank as this is my first fish tank. This summer I'm going bigger though. I have a rock substrate.

So tips and suggestions are welcome.

Yeah the potters is not a great choice for a beginner. It also requires a 70g. How big are you going to go with the upgrade? Check out the nano section on live aquaria. There are plenty of colourful fish to choose from! I have a 55g but these three little guys would suit your tank :) they are really active and swim in the front of the tank...

Attachments

• image-1651773213.jpg
    image-1651773213.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 79
  • image-3355232576.jpg
    image-3355232576.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 72
  • image-1164419241.jpg
    image-1164419241.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 84
If anything, you should slow down and cycle your tank. Have you tested your water? Odds are you've got ammonia or nitrite poisoning.

Research the fish you like that can fit in your 20g tank. BTW, I'd try to rehome that potter's angel. It needs a bigger tank. Just take it easy and add livestock slowly.

+1

If see if your LFS will take the Angel back. There is a very slim chance that it will make it, especially in a new tank.

Moving forward, check out sites like liveaquaria.com for tank size suggestions. Go with those recommendations (for tank size, compatibility, care level, etc) and you will have a better experience.

Also if you still have those damsels I'd be careful about getting any timid fish that will end up bullied and hiding.

So took y'all's advice and re-homed the potter to a friends tank that is bigger. Guess next weekend when I add another ill research before I buy

On another note I had two turbo snails and a hermitt crab. Pretty sure the crab ate one of the snails. Any advice on where to get more shells? Been looking on the beaches here in Hawaii but there are none surprisingly. Ordered a set off eBay so hopefully they get here this week

Reefcleaners has small and large empty shells for cheap as well as other stuff, I know they ship via USPS so it may not be too expensive to Hawaii.

Back
Top Bottom