Suggestions on an auto top-off

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

24 hours? NE!

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm looking for ideas for an auto top-off. A DIY is possible, but the whole setup would be preferred.

Any suggestions? Any places to research?

Thanks

I got a real simple autotop off for my 75. Its about as DIY as you can get.

If you live where a farm supply store is you can go in and look for a float that they use to keep cattle things full. Its usually plastic and has a big block of syrofoam in it for bouancy. Get this and some hose and connect it to a bucket that you have drilled and tapped at the bottom with a barb fitting. Then use some metal hose clamps. All you have to do now is mount the float in your sump where you want the water level to be. As the water level drops the float will allow water in to the sump. You end up with a 5 gal autotop off.

If you want to buy. I use the osmolator by Tunze. I have a hole drilled through my wall behind the aqaurium to the laundry room on the other side where I keep a 35g trashcan filled with topoff water. The lines for the osmolator run through the wall between the tank and the trash can. It is a pretty sweet system. The osmolator will add water when your sump drops 1 mm. It has a control panel that tells you when it is adding and when it is level. It is pretty sweet but not cheap at around 160 dollars.

Back
Top Bottom