sump ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iwantareef16

Aquarium Advice Regular
i have a 55 gal tank going under my 75 gal what advice can you give me on this setup. No clue how to setup a sump besides an overflow box and a return pump thats it

Honestly thats about all you need inorder to have a sump. If you want to add baffles or segment out an area for a refugum you can do this but its not a requirement.

I know someone who took a 55 gal tank and setup a sump by taking and syliconing two glass panels about 6-8" in on either side. THe left most chamber was for the drain into the sump and the skimmer. The middle large chamber was a refuge and heaters, and the right most chamber was for the return pump and autotop off float switch.

You could replicate this kind of setup or you could just do a large sump with out the baffles.

When sizing the pump for the sump figure the head height you will have and then find the maxium flow rate of your overflow(s) and make sure the pump you get does not go over that rating at the specific head height.

Just for fun, here is what I am doing.

I have a magnum 350 canister filter. I will turn that into my own little sump/refugium by simply removing the carbon and replacing it with LR rubble!

good Idea? I thought so anyway. :)

me neither really.

but anyway, back to the subject.

Siliconing the glass panels would work great. the center section that is created would house live rock and sand. you could even add a light and grow some mangroves or Macro algea.

I do not have a sump myself, but I hear they are the way to go!!!

i just did the silicone and plexiglass panels in a 10g. i will tryo to take a picture and post it for you. i think glass would be better than the plexi. it will eventually become brittle, but i had the plexi and i will have a bigger tank before this happens 8)

i also put a chamber for the input to flood into over rock rubble and a bubble trap with two extra baffels.

as long as you mentioned it, whats the deal with mangroves? i am seeing them come up alot recently
steve r

Back
Top Bottom