Sump/ATO System

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

harryggumb

Aquarium Advice Freak
I’m looking to add an auto top off to my sump and was hoping for some recommendations. I’ve never used one before but it just seems to make sense rather than fight to keep the salinity of my tank stable. Eventually I will most likely dose the tank when I eventually can get more corals. For now does anyone recommend a certain system or brand of pump? Eventually the sump will be upgraded as well as I know it’s nothing to be proud of but it’s a start and it’s working for me so far. It’s a 2 chamber 20 gal sump with some bioballs and a Bubble Magus Curve 5.

IMG_4495.jpg

IMG_4497.jpg

Love the wine bottle for skimmer overflow lol. I have the tunze osmolator on my tank and it is fantastic. It’s around $200 which is a bit $$$ though. What’s your budget? I had a jbj one before and it kinda crapped out on me.

I really liked my JBJ ATO when I was running my 55. I had it paired with a tom's aqua lifter perfectly. Just used gallon jugs for the top off water. So, under 75 bucks?

Love the wine bottle for skimmer overflow lol. I have the tunze osmolator on my tank and it is fantastic. It’s around $200 which is a bit $$$ though. What’s your budget? I had a jbj one before and it kinda crapped out on me.

Haha thanks! Sometimes you just have to work with what you have around lol honestly if I’m going to spend $100 I might as well spend another 100 and get a good product. I was reading reviews and a lot of people say they love the tunze. They seem pretty straight forward for setting up too?

I really liked my JBJ ATO when I was running my 55. I had it paired with a tom's aqua lifter perfectly. Just used gallon jugs for the top off water. So, under 75 bucks?

See my only worry is that I’m not going to be able to sync them properly. Any recommendations on getting the right dosage?

See my only worry is that I’m not going to be able to sync them properly. Any recommendations on getting the right dosage?

For dosing, I have used a dosing pump from BRS before...but at the end of the day I just didn't need to be dosing so I stopped. And since most don't need to dose it can pretty easily be written off. But if you're going to dose, you want a dosing pump. Normally though, those that are going to be dosing already have a leaning towards what they are looking for since they know what they are going to need to dose. Can I ask what you are going to be dosing and what leads you to believe you need to do so?

In terms of the ATO, I have a Tunze. People like them, no disagreement. I liked my JBJ with the aqualifter better when it was on my 55 reef. Looked like the same sort of deal, just JBJ worked better for me.

The thing I like about the tunze is you have a float switch and a separate sensor to shut they system off when it gets to high. I also like that it comes with a pump. My main issue with the jbj was the stupid suction cups to hold the sensor in place in the sump would always come off… other than that and the fact it stopped working it worked well otherwise. I’ve heard good things about the reefbreeders ato as well

For dosing, I have used a dosing pump from BRS before...but at the end of the day I just didn't need to be dosing so I stopped. And since most don't need to dose it can pretty easily be written off. But if you're going to dose, you want a dosing pump. Normally though, those that are going to be dosing already have a leaning towards what they are looking for since they know what they are going to need to dose. Can I ask what you are going to be dosing and what leads you to believe you need to do so?

In terms of the ATO, I have a Tunze. People like them, no disagreement. I liked my JBJ with the aqualifter better when it was on my 55 reef. Looked like the same sort of deal, just JBJ worked better for me.
I'm going back and forth with the idea of dosing. I'm reading a lot and some people swear it only helps coral regardless of how many you have. I just started to add frags so I don't think its necessary yet but I figured it could help keep my corals happy? you don't think thats needed though? I think I'm leaning toward the tunze at this time just but I see how both are very similar. I do like the redundancy for safety with the tunze and I guess you can argue that you can't put a price on safety especially in this hobby.

I'm going back and forth with the idea of dosing. I'm reading a lot and some people swear it only helps coral regardless of how many you have. I just started to add frags so I don't think its necessary yet but I figured it could help keep my corals happy? you don't think thats needed though? I think I'm leaning toward the tunze at this time just but I see how both are very similar. I do like the redundancy for safety with the tunze and I guess you can argue that you can't put a price on safety especially in this hobby.

There is 0 reason to dose a tank that just has some corals in it, let alone frags. Putting more of one parameter in will throw the others out of whack and crash the tank. A standard reef tank can have these parameters managed via weekly water changes without the risk to the livestock inside.

As for ATO, The JBJ also had dual float switches like the Tunze. At least the one I bought did. IDK about the Tunze, but you choose between what mode you use in the JBJ. I only did the one float for top off and could see the water level in the jub. I'm sure the Tunze is the same if not similar.

okay great thank you for the advice! I do not want to get in over my head and crash my tank thats for sure!

any recommendation on the size of my auto top off container? I was thinking 5 at first but if that is too small maybe I'll bump it up to a 10 gal.

I’m with the boys ,..I’ve been using the tunze for many many years ,…. Kinda pricey up front it but works 24/7 for you .

any recommendation on the size of my auto top off container? I was thinking 5 at first but if that is too small maybe I'll bump it up to a 10 gal.

Whatever the largest container of water you can fit into your space will allow you. More water will help you with any problems that will creep up thanks to dilution. Before I bought my current red sea unit, I was planning a 150 gal horse trough in the basement...so, don't think you are stuck to just aquariums. Anything like that, large containers made of material that can hold drinkable water are all also to be considered in the equation, so on.

I’ve got a 6 gallon plastic container that I use on my system ( approx 180 total gallons),… usually that’ll last me a few days before I refill that with some more prepared water that I have standing by ,..usually I have about an extra 10-15 gallons of rodi water on hand at all times .
The auto top offs (ATO) are nice thing to have to maintain that perfect salinity.,just one less thing to worry about .

I opted with the tunze and I love it. Really does just make for one less thing to worry about. It works like a charm. I’m using a 10 gallon jug for an ATO container. Not the prettiest but is getting the job done. Lasts about 2 weeks. My water temp has been running hot lately. Can’t seem to get it down might be from the humidity as well as the class top I have. I’ve been toying with the idea of replaying the class for a screen too to maybe alleviate some trapped heat. Not sure if that will really help though. IMG_4724.jpg

Back
Top Bottom