Sump Clean and Water Change? (How To)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

revhtree

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok I have have my first sump set up, and it has been set up for about 3 weeks I guess. It is a 23g clear rubbermaid tub. I have about 20g of water in it.

I am wanting to do a water change, and I am wondering what the best way is. I have a bunch of brown stuff built up in the sump, like dirt, is this normal? I have a siphon hose (not a python) you pump under water and it sucks water. The problem is that the container needs to be lower to start the suction, and that is not possible because the sump is on the floor. I know this is a total newb question. :wink:

What I do is use a small extra PH with a 1/2" hose attached and then pump the sump water to another container. Make sure the main pumps are off so there is no problems with your sump pump running dry.

I have that brown stuff too. I never clean my sump, but I do suck some of the sand out if it starts getting sucked into the main tank. For the water changes I just shut off my pump and drain the water from the sump with a maxijet 900. Make sure you mark where the water level was at. (also make sure you have enough room for the back flow of water) Then just fill it back up to that mark. Once your done you can turn you pumps back on.

Back
Top Bottom