Sump Design Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoeA

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi Guys,

I want to start a FOWLR saltwater tank. The display tank is 55gal long and I just purchased a 20 gallon long glass tank to make into my sump.

My guestion is how would you design the space inside the sump. How many baffles and such. How is your sump designed and why?

Any advice is GREATLY appreciated.

Joe

Here's a great site with some excellent sump ideas:

http://www.melevsreef.com/

Just click the "Sump and Refugium" links for some ideas. Personally, I have a separate Refugium (75 gallon) and Sump (45 gallon) My sump (shown below) has 4 baffles. Three in the middle in a down/up/down configuration (which is fairly standard - removes micro bubbles) and a 4th mini-baffle around the outlet to the Iwaki pump (to help stop anything smallish entering the pump and damaging it)

newsump1.jpg

(btw, I realise the deltec skimmer is sitting too low in the sump, the rack has since been raised!!!)

Thanks for your help. I guess what confuses me the most is the size of the different parts of the sump. For instance I read that the baffles should be 1" apart. How large should the fuge be? How many baffles should I have?

it will all depend on what you plan on having in the sump. Return pump, skimmer, fuge,return lines.
you will be playing around with all these items in the sump first then mark out how much room you need for the skimmer and return pump, return lines from the tank and the area left in the middle could be used as a fuge.

Thanks for the props Guitarded, That means a lot.

As for the sumps I am a big fan of the "keep it simple..." train of thought. Depending on the flow rate 1" spacing between baffles should work well. One inch raised baffles for bubble control is also a general rule. If you are using a massive pump (like that last one I built) up to 3" may be required. But up to say a mag 12/18 an inch should be fine in a 20 glass tank. Here's a very basic concept...

Hope this helps,
R-

Back
Top Bottom