Sump for 20 gallons tank???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phishiefishie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 20 gallons tank currently with a clown fish, a blenny and 6 lps corals. I have two questions
1/ do I need a sump? Can I do a 5 gallons sump mainly for a refugium
2/ I'm thinking of adding a blue tang, yellow tang, Atlantic blue tang, flame angel, four chromis, fire shrimp, goby and more corals. Is that too much? What should I not get???

Thank you so much for your time

I have a 20 gallons tank currently with a clown fish, a blenny and 6 lps corals. I have two questions
1/ do I need a sump? Can I do a 5 gallons sump mainly for a refugium
2/ I'm thinking of adding a blue tang, yellow tang, Atlantic blue tang, flame angel, four chromis, fire shrimp, goby and more corals. Is that too much? What should I not get?

Thank you so much for your time

Okay im not a salty expert but I can answer a few. No you dont NEED a sump. If you want one for a refugium great. They are awesome if done right and are fairly simple to build if you go that route

You can do the goby and shrimp and definitely more corals but, the corals will be defined depending on your light. What light are you running?

I dont know about the tangs. If im not mistaken, they need more room.

Hoping your joking about the stock list! You could maybe add a goby or two and then you are maxed, fill her up with corals though and some cool shrimp.
You don't need a sump on that size tank, they are always beneficial though. What type of filtration are you currently using? Is it a newly set up tank?

In regards to the Tangs...you can scratch all of them off your list. You would need at least a 75 Gallon tank to keep the yellow tang and then it goes up from there.

Hoping your joking about the stock list! You could maybe add a goby or two and then you are maxed, fill her up with corals though and some cool shrimp.
You don't need a sump on that size tank, they are always beneficial though. What type of filtration are you currently using? Is it a newly set up tank?

Lol I meant to put or between those tangs. I have a eheim hang on filter. I had it as a 5 gallons, just transferred them to the 20 gallons. I'm thinking to use my 5 gallons as a refugium. How should I set up or put together my refugium if I decided to do it??? Thank so much for your feedback

Okay im not a salty expert but I can answer a few. No you dont NEED a sump. If you want one for a refugium great. They are awesome if done right and are fairly simple to build if you go that route

You can do the goby and shrimp and definitely more corals but, the corals will be defined depending on your light. What light are you running?

I dont know about the tangs. If im not mistaken, they need more room.

I have a T-5, is that enough??? I'm planning to only add easy corals and mostly lps. Greatly appreciate your feed back.

Still no tangs in a 20g I am afraid. With the two fish you have only one or two small fish and you're at your limit. There was a thread on here recently about refugium, what do you want it for? To house or grow pods? Or for nitrate removal? I believe it would be more trouble than its worth to set up, being so small I don't think it would actually benefit your tank that much.

Back
Top Bottom