Sump for Idiots

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NightSpirit

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have to convert my FW tank to a sump (the heater blows a fuse everytime it turns on, due to my new MH lighting, and my brother is starting up a FW tank, so he can take the fish).

Anyways so all I have is a 55 gallon tank and I guess I have to buy an overflow since my tank is not predrilled.

Anyone have a guide on how to set up a sump for idiots? I've never dealt with plumbing and don't want to flood the apartment.

Check our articles for some basic what is a sump info.

Yes you will need an overflow if your tanks not drilled or if your going to be taking yoru tank down you could take it to a glass shop and have them drill it assuming its not tempered glass.

What you will need will be the following.

Overflow
PVC plumbing (size the plumbing diamater based upon your overflow drain and your pumps return size)
Assorted fittings (your gonna have to map out the route your pvc will take and get the right elbows and whatnot)
PVC glue
Return pump (I like mag pumps)
1 way flapper valve (this is to help prevent a backwash of water from your tank to your sump in the event of a power outage)
Assorted ball valves (place these before and after the above valve and also between your pump and the plumbing so you can replace those parts easily
True unions (these allow you to take stuff out of the plumbing loop by just unsrewing the connections)
SUMP vessle

Thats the jist of it.

Night sprit, pm me with your address, I'll give you an overflow, you will need the return stuff and the overflow is only good for 400 to 500 gph. My mag 9.5 is pushing a whole lot more than that, I had to ge a duel overflow. :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom