sump glass thickness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

js198027

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am currently building my first sw setup. I am using a 40 breeder for a sump. Was just wondering what thickness glass everyone is using for the glass dividers

I used 1/4" glass dividers in my 55 sump. With a smaller tank, you may get away with 3/16", but I certainly wouldn't go down to 1/8". The 1/4" is pretty stout, but not too heavy or bulky to work with..... I'd recommend it. My local glass shop cut me two 12" x 15" panes, polished the edges, and rounded the bottom corners on one of the panes for $22.

1/4" minimum for a 40B. 18" is a pretty wide piece of glass and it would be a mess if it flexed and shattered.

What are the specs on your skimmer? 10" is about average. you can always put the skimmer on a platform to make the partitions higher if you want a deeper refugium, but don't forget to leave some room for the DT to drain into when the return pump is off.

In my 40B I'm going to run 12" of water. That should leave me plenty for my 210 DT to drain (IF my calculations are correct lol) What size is your tank so we have an idea of how much drain you would have?

sorry, my Dt is a 75 and I am planning on using a reef octopus Diablo dc 150 skimmer. The specs say Recommended Sump Water Depth: 5.5"-6.5" and I am planning on getting the Diablo dc 3500 return pump.

do any of you know is that recommendation a minimum water height can the water go up that high on the skimmer or would I have to raise it 5" to have have a 10"water height in the sump. sorry if these are dumb questions. Just trying to understand it all.

do any of you know is that recommendation a minimum water height can the water go up that high on the skimmer or would I have to raise it 5" to have have a 10"water height in the sump. sorry if these are dumb questions. Just trying to understand it all.

You will have to raise it to the manufacturers water level recommendations

You'll need to raise the skimmer 4.5 inches if you want a water depth of 10 in. This will set the skimmer in 5.5 inches of water

Ok. Thanks for the info. Any suggestions to raise it other than a lot of stacked egg crate?

Yeah.... build a BOX out of eggcrate & zip-ties. You can make it whatever dimensions you want. Use a few ties down each side & around the bottom (or top) panel, and it is surprisingly stout.....

Attachments

• Sump 3.JPG
    Sump 3.JPG
    132.4 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Yeah.... build a BOX out of eggcrate & zip-ties. You can make it whatever dimensions you want. Use a few ties down each side & around the bottom (or top) panel, and it is surprisingly stout.....

You can also fill that box with rock rubble. less wasted space

HA! Dufous at my Home Depot lighting department never even heard of the stuff. I found it in the construction section.

Not to hijack the thread, but I've been following this and have always had acrylic tanks with the built-in filtration or been around tanks that already had the sumps built and running. Why do skimmers need to be raised? The 240g I am setting up came with a skimmer (no idea what brand...looks older) and I think he just had it on the floor of the sump. Now I am wondering if it needs to be raised. I'm working on all of that (sump and adding a 35g refugium to the two CPR boxes he used) this weekend.

Back
Top Bottom