sump help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tpaparazzo

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey everyone..

I have a 75g with a tidepool 2 filter..I am trying to optimize it to best i can..The overlow goes down into the filter, passes thru a drip tray then trhough 3 other trays of media..right now i have 1 tray course and 2 tray blue floss. then int o a comparmtent where the bio wheel is..Then there is this little wall that overflows into the rest of the sump..

My questions are..Should i remove the floss and course material from the trays..What about the biowheel..Anyone have any tips on this..

I have a fowlr but want to start with some shroom corals etc after i get some new lighting!

Thanks

The biowheel and the floss are just creating nitrates, of course they are also nitrifying the water, consuming the ammonia and nitrite. If you do not have enough LR and LS to preform the task of nitrifying your water, it is ill advised to remove your filter media. If you have a DSB and 1 to 1 + lbs per gallon of water...then you can remove the media and the rock and sand will nitrify the water, as well as denitrify it, reducing nitrates.

Back
Top Bottom